Madagascar’s ex-leader Ravalomanana accepts defeat

Former president Marc Ravalomanana has accepted defeat in Madagascar’s presidential election, a day after the country’s Constitutional Court confirmed Andry Rajoelina as the new leader of the Indian Ocean island nation.

Ravalomanana had lodged a complaint alleging widespread fraud in the December 19 run-off vote in which he won 44.3% to Rajoelina’s 55.7%.

But the court tossed out his case as “unfounded”.

“I congratulate and wish him every success in accomplishing the task he is given,” said Ravalomanana in a video clip released on social media.

“I have seen that the people of Madagascar are suffering, 92% live in poverty, they need help,” he said.


Madagascar is well known for its vanilla and precious redwood but is one of the world’s poorest nations, with 76% of people living in extreme poverty.

“It’s time for reconciliation, love, solidarity to be able to tackle the economic development of our dear country,” said the 69-year-old businessman and former president.

Last week riot police in the Indian Ocean island used tear gas to break up several protests by thousands of his supporters.

International election observers said they had not seen any evidence of significant wrongdoing.

Both former presidents and bitter rivals, the two were banned from running in the 2013 election as part of an agreement to end the recurring crises that have rocked Madagascar since it gained independence from France in 1960.

Rajoelina and Ravalomanana have been locked in a fiercely-personal duel for power.

Ravalomanana was first elected president in 2002 but was forced to resign seven years later by violent demonstrations supported by Rajoelina, who was mayor of the capital Antananarivo at the time.

Rajoelina, now 44, was installed by the army and ruled until 2014. He is a former events planner and successful entrepreneur with slick communication skills.

© Agence France-Presse

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Agency
External source

Related stories

Question marks surround Madagascar’s Covid-19 ‘miracle cure’

Despite Malagasy President Andry Rajoelina’s claims of a cure for Covid-19, experts say ‘there is absolutely no evidence’ that is true

Crisis, what crisis? How not to handle a pandemic

So far, most countries on the African continent are dealing with Covid-19, but not all leaders are taking the coronavirus pandemic seriously

Flight to to evacuate South Africans in Wuhan finally underway

A long-delayed flight to repatriate South African citizens from Wuhan will depart tonight and return on Friday the 13th, before a 21-day quarantine

Coronavirus: South Africa will evacuate citizens from Wuhan

The government is expected to evacuate citizens from Wuhan, where the coronavirus outbreak originated

Record 45mn need urgent food aid in Southern Africa — UN

Roughly 45-million people in southern Africa are in urgent need of food aid as a result of drought, flooding and economic hardship, the UN...

Firestorms: How Australia’s bushfires created their own weather

During Victoria's Black Saturday bushfires in 2009, lightning strikes caused new fires up to 100 kilometres away from the original blaze
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

DRC: Tshisekedi and Kabila fall out

The country’s governing coalition is under strain, which could lead to even more acrimony ahead

Editorial: Crocodile tears from the coalface

Pumping limited resources into a project that is predominantly meant to extend dirty coal energy in South Africa is not what local communities and the climate needs.

Klipgat residents left high and dry

Flushing toilets were installed in backyards in the North West, but they can’t be used because the sewage has nowhere to go

Nehawu leaders are ‘betraying us’

The accusation by a branch of the union comes after it withdrew from a parliamentary process
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…