State capture commission secretary to take leave following bribery allegations

The secretary of the commission of inquiry into state capture Dr Khotso De Wee has taken special leave from the commission following an allegation that he received bribes from Bosasa.

The allegation, which emerged on Friday, stems from day three of former Bosasa chief operating officer (COO) Angelo Agrizzi’s testimony. Agrizzi testified that he was informed that De Wee is one of several senior officials at the department of justice and constitutional development who received bribes so that Bosasa can be awarded a tender in 2013. This tender was to supply various courts with security systems. The bribe was allegedly given to De Wee during his tenure as COO of the department.

Before being appointed to the commission, De Wee was the executive director of Fort Hare Solutions and was previously the acting secretary-general in the Office of the Chief Justice before joining the private sector.

Agrizzi also said that he cannot confirm what he was told because had no other information.

Agrizzi has spent the past three days detailing, in damning detail, the operations the company undertook to obtain the cash it would use to allegedly bribe officials with whom it was doing business.

In a statement issued by the commission during Agrizzi’s evidence, chairperson of the commission, Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo, noted the allegation and “brought it to Dr De Wee’s attention”. According to Zondo, De Wee said “he was never at any stage paid any money by Bosasa or by anybody from Bosasa including the person mentioned in Mr Agrizzi’s affidavit.”

The commission, through its own investigators, will conduct a probe into these allegations.

Zondo, in the statement, further said that “in the light of this and the seriousness of the allegation against him”, De Wee has offered to take special leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The secretary’s special leave will commence on January 22 to allow the commission some time to appoint someone to take on the position in an acting role.

Read the commission’s media statement here:


Media Statement 18 January 2019 by Mail and Guardian on Scribd

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Mapisa-Nqakula ‘regrets confusion’ after contradictory statements on Khosa case

The minister’s media statement follows a letter from Khosa’s attorneys that they were considering a perjury charge or a complaint with the Public Protector

Capture claims plague new private-security bargaining council

Unhappy members of the National Bargaining Council for the Private Security Sector say corporate governance standards are being flouted

The backlogs, denials and future of testing Covid-19

The National Health Laboratory Services finally admitted to a bottleneck last week, after denying there were any issues since April. According to the service, the backlog of 80 000 tests started in the first week of May
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday