Ertuğral lasts a month at Maritzburg

Struggling Maritzburg United have confirmed that they have parted ways with coach Muhsin Ertuğral.

The hot headed Turk walks away from the position after only a month at the helm and a disastrous run of games to show for it.

Ertuğral arrived on December 28 and was tasked with rebuilding a side that had laboured under Fadlu Davids and only achieved one win in the Premier Soccer League all season. Relegation became an even clearer prospect under him, however, as they lost four league games in a row.

The final nail seemed to knocked in on Sunday as Shakes Mashaba and lowly Witbank Spurs knocked the Team of Choice out of the Nedbank Cup.

“The coach admitted that he was concerned himself and felt he had done everything as best he could to turn things around, but the results did not come,” chairman Farook Kadodia said. “It was then decided that we both shake hands and, by mutual agreement, go our separate ways.


“The club had to look at its survival and its future, so it was a ultimately a results based decision.”

Maritzburg will likely look to appoint a third coach of the season as soon as the drop draws nearer and nearer.

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Luke Feltham
Luke Feltham

Luke Feltham runs the Mail & Guardian's sports desk. He was previously the online day editor.

Advertising

Taxis and Covid-19: ‘The ideal doesn’t exist’

After months of complaining about the regulations imposed on the industry, taxi owners have been given a lifeline

Mask rules are not meant to ‘criminalise’ the public

Shop owners and taxi drivers can now refuse entry to people who defy mandatory mask-wearing regulations

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday