Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Solskjær looking to the future no matter what Man Utd decide

Ole Gunnar Solskjær admits he is loving life as Manchester United’s caretaker manager and is already making plans for next season, even though the Norwegian still does not know if he will remain in charge.

The 45-year-old has made a record-breaking start in charge at Old Trafford, becoming the first boss to begin his United career with eight straight victories.

That has led to a growing clamour from supporters for Solskjær to be confirmed as manager on a permanent basis, despite United still being linked strongly with Tottenham’s Mauricio Pochettino.

Victory away at Pochettino’s Spurs and Arsenal in the FA Cup on Friday have dismissed suggestions early in Solskjær’s run that he had just benefited from a kind run of fixtures.

“I love it,” said Solskjær ahead of Burnley’s visit to Old Trafford on Tuesday. “It’s what you want, we’ve had some fantastic results, great performances.

“And the improvement I can see in many aspects, just from Tottenham to Arsenal; the way we improved the structure, the ideas, we’ve got to know each other more and they’ve got to know me and what I want from the team.

“For a few games everyone said it was just about attacking, attacking, attacking but it’s the other part I’ve been happy with. We’ve not conceded many chances.”

Solskjær was appointed till the end of the season after Jose Mourinho’s sacking last month to buy the United hierarchy time to find a permanent replacement with Pochettino widely rumoured to be their prime target.

However, Solskjær’s case is becoming hard to ignore and he is already looking to the future by hoping to give a number of the club’s most promising youngsters games before the end of the campaign.

“We have quite a few talents in that youth team that you’d like to see,” Solskjær said.

“And will see at some point before next season, to put the club and team in a good position at the end of the season, how will we look next season.

“Mason (Greenwood), Jimmy Garner, Ethan (Hamilton) — it’s just about the right time.

“We’ve got Alexis (Sanchez), Romelu Lukaku and Juan (Mata) who haven’t played so much lately. They’re three players they have to jump ahead of.

“What Manchester United are going to look like next season with or without me, it doesn’t really matter. I’m here as part of that to prepare the team for next season. That means doing well now.”

Solskjær’s wish to blood youngsters may be tempered by United’s charge towards the top four.

Victory over the struggling Clarets at Old Trafford could move the Red Devils into the Champions League places for the first time since the opening weekend of the season.

However, United have not added to their squad to bolster their challenge on three fronts in the January transfer window and Solskjær is therefore keen not to lose any players despite suggestions defender Matteo Darmian could return to Italy and that Brazilian midfielder Andreas Pereira could go out on loan.

“At the moment I can see everyone staying at the club. No deals have been done with anyone,” Solskjær added.

“It’ll be good to get the window closed and concentrate on improving the players in the squad still here.

“I can’t see Andreas going out on loan because he has done fantastic in training ever since I come back, and he’s a player I can see playing quite a few games for us towards the end of the season.”

Vote for an informed choice

We’re dropping the paywall this week so that everyone can access all our stories for free, and access the information they need in the run up to the local government elections. To follow the news, sign up to our daily elections newsletter for the latest updates and analysis.

If our coverage helps inform your decision, cast your vote for an informed public and join our subscriber community. Right now, you can a full year’s access for just R510. Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Mission implausible for the DA’s man in Nkandla

Malibongwe Dubazane is contesting all 14 of the IFP-run Nkandla local municipality’s wards

Andries Tatane’s spirit will drive fight against ANC in Ficksburg

The nascent Setsoto Service Delivery Forum is confident it can remove the ‘failing ANC’ in the chronically mismanaged Free State municipality

Paddy Harper: On gleeful politicians and headless chickens

Paddy Harper doesn’t know who to vote for yet, since the Dagga Party isn’t contesting his ward, but right now what to order for lunch is a more pressing concern

Malema: ANC will use load-shedding to steal votes

While on the campaign trail in the Eastern Cape, EFF leader Julius Malema, without evidence, claimed the ANC was planning to use rolling blackouts to ‘steal votes’
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×