Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

‘I am a racist, judge me on that’ — Agrizzi

On the ninth day of his testimony before the Zondo commission of inquiry into state capture, former Bosasa chief operating officer Angelo Agrizzi was called to answer for a racist tirade clandestinely recorded by members of the controversial Watson family.

”I am ashamed of myself for doing this … You can hear me slurring … I am a racist, I agree,” Agrizzi told the commission, chaired by Deputy Chief Justice Raymond Zondo.

In the recording, Agrizzi can be heard repeatedly using the k-word. ”Those k****s have done nothing for your father [Bosasa chief executive Gavin Watson]. What is it that they are holding over his head? What is it?” Agrizzi is heard saying to members of the Watson clan, including Lindsay, Roth and Jarrod Watson.

The recording was later published and shared widely on social media.

Agrizzi said his statements were made in reference to Bosasa directors Papa Leshabane and Joe Gumede. He previously told the commission that both had threatened him to compel him into silence in the wake of his testimony.

”When people threaten you, you do stupid things. I am not making excuses,” he said.

Agrizzi recounted the events leading up to his racist tirade being recorded. He was at pains to explain that he was in a bad state of mind at the time of the recording.

According to Agrizzi — who is a diabetic — prior to the meeting he had drunk a few gin and tonics, eaten some carrot cake and allegedly neglected to take his insulin shot.

Agrizzi told the commission that he was agitated after having been “harassed” by the Watsons wanting him to retract a press statement he had released, announcing his intention to blow the lid off alleged corruption at Bosasa.

”I thought I could control it chair. Evidently, I couldn’t … I didn’t realise the impact that having carrot cake and a gin would have on me,” Agrizzi told the commission.

When asked whether or not he knew he was being recorded, Agrizzi said that in hindsight he knew he was being set up.

”They were coming there to try set me up. I knew it. In my gut, I knew it,” Agrizzi told the commission.

The recording was played for the commission to hear. Agrizzi objected to this, saying that the other three hours of the conversation should also be played.

He listened to the recording with his eyes closed.

Head of the commission’s legal team, Paul Pretorius SC, remarked that Agrizzi’s statements in the recording are ”nakedly racist and grossly offensive”.

”I’ve admitted it and I am sorry. That is all I can say,” Agrizzi said.

Pretorius also questioned whether or not Agrizzi’s testimony had been motivated by racism.

”All I’m saying is, I don’t see how somebody can say I am racist when I’m pointing out the facts,” Agrizzi said in response. ”Chair have a look at the facts … I can’t do anything about your decision … But what I can do is ask you to make it more accessible for whistleblowers to come out.”

Zondo, who called Agrizzi’s statements “extremely offensive and totally unacceptable”, said that he would objectively review the evidence put before him.

The recording was published on social media by Pinky Khoabane, one of the journalists named by Agrizzi as having received payments from Bosasa through Leshabane.

READ MORE: Agrizzi maps Bosasa media ties

On Monday, Khoabane took to Twitter to deny the allegation. “I have never met Angelo Agrizzi. I simply reported on his racist rants and his links. I will make a submission to [the Zondo commission].”

I have never met Angelo Agrizzi. I simply reported on his racist rants and his links. I will make a submission to @StateCaptureCom

— Pinky Khoabane (@pinkykhoabane) January 28, 2019

Khoabane also alleged that she had received the recording through a friend. “I only ever interacted with Bosasa in around Oct 2018 when I called to get authenticity of the tape. I have an email to that effect I then met Papa Leshabane as spokesperson of Bosasa. He gave me no money,” she wrote.

I received the recording from a friend who sent it to me.
I only ever interacted with Bosasa in around Oct 2018 when I called to get authenticity of the tape. I have an email to that effect
I then met Papa Leshabane as spokesperson of Bosasa. He gave me no money

— Pinky Khoabane (@pinkykhoabane) January 28, 2019

Agrizzi suggested that the publication of the recording was part of a campaign to dent his credibility ahead of his testimony.

“What can I do? It is just an attempt to discredit me … Because if they can discredit me, they can discredit my information as well,” he said.

 

M&G Fast

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Sarah Smit
Sarah Smit
Sarah Smit is a general news reporter at the Mail & Guardian. She covers topics relating to labour, corruption and the law.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Fears of violence persist a year after the murder of...

The court battle to stop coal mining in rural KwaZulu-Natal has heightened the sense of danger among environmental activists

Data shows EFF has lower negative sentiment online among voters...

The EFF has a stronger online presence than the ANC and Democratic Alliance

More top stories

Fishing subsidies in the W. Cape: ‘Illegal fishing is our...

Fishers claim they are forced into illegal trawling because subsidies only benefit big vessels

Kenya’s beach boys fall into sex tourism, trafficking

In the face of their families’ poverty, young men, persuaded by the prospect of wealth or education, travel to Europe with their older female sponsors only to be trafficked for sex

High court reinstates Umgeni Water board

The high court has ruled that the dissolution of the water entity’s board by Minister Lindiwe Sisulu was unfair and unprocedural
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×