Australia’s Folau launches legal action over homophobia sacking

 

 

Fallen star Israel Folau has launched legal action against Rugby Australia and the NSW Waratahs for unfair dismissal, he said Thursday, demanding an apology, compensation and the right to play again after he was sacked for making homophobic comments.

Super Rugby’s record try-scorer, who was on a Aus$1 million-a-year ($690 000), four-year contract, was fired in May for posting online that “hell awaits” gay people and others he considers sinners.

The devout Christian opted not to appeal and mediation attempts failed, prompting Folau to take the highly divisive case, which has drawn support from conservatives and outrage elsewhere, to the courts.

“A conciliation before the Fair Work Commission did not resolve the matters between us. Accordingly, I am commencing court proceedings against Rugby Australia and the NSW Waratahs,” he said in a video message.

Folau, who has played 73 times for the Wallabies, raised more than Aus$2-million in just two days through the Australian Christian Lobby to help pay his legal fees, before the appeal was paused, with enough money “for now”.


It replaced a GoFundMe crowdfunding campaign that was shut down after raising more than Aus$700 000, with the platform saying it would not “tolerate the promotion of discrimination or exclusion”.

Folau’s claim, lodged with the Federal Circuit Court in Melbourne on Wednesday and seen by AFP, argued he was unlawfully dismissed under a section of Australia’s Fair Work Act that disallows sackings because of a person’s religion.

It said the 30-year-old was seeking compensation, interest, damages, injunctive and declaratory relief, along with an apology.

‘Fundamental human right’

Previous reports put the compensation figure at Aus$10-million, including for lost sponsorship and marketing opportunities, a sum that could prove disastrous for Rugby Australia.

“Mr. Folau is an elite sportsman and record try-scorer who should be playing for the NSW Waratahs and the Wallabies, including in the upcoming Rugby World Cup,” his lawyers said in the claim.

“His form and natural talent suggest he would continue to be a star player for both teams.”

It added that there was nothing unlawful about uploading religious content to social media.

“This benign conduct, which the community accepts is a recognised fundamental human right and freedom, did not justify any punitive action being taken against him by his employer under the player contract or otherwise,” the claim stated.

“It certainly did not justify Mr. Folau losing his career and livelihood.”

The governing body had no immediate comment, but has insisted Folau’s firing was purely contractual, saying he had agreed not to disparage anyone over their sexual orientation following a similar controversy last year.

“I have been blessed to have received the support of tens of thousands of Australians throughout my journey, and I want to say thank you to everyone who has offered their prayers and support,” Folau added in his video message.

“It has meant so much to (wife) Maria and me over the last few months and gives us strength for the road ahead.”

The matter has been listed for a directions hearing on August 13.

© Agence France-Presse

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Agency
External source
Advertising

New August 31 deadline for the last learners to return...

In an amendment published in the Government Gazette on Tuesday, the basic education minister has made further changes to the school return dates for different grades

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday