Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

High Court dismisses case against Public Protector by her former COO

 

 

The high court on Thursday dismissed an application against Public Protector Busisiwe Mkhwebane by her former chief of operations Basani Baloyi to be reinstated. The court said that it did not have jurisdiction to deal with Baloyi’s case.

Baloyi had gone to court saying she had been “purged” from the Public Protector’s office after she had raised concerns about the way certain politically sensitive allegations were being conducted — including the investigations into President Cyril Ramaphosa’s CR17 campaign and into allegations of a “rogue” investigating unit at the South African Revenue Service. The allegations were vigorously denied by Mkhwebane.

READ MORE: Public Protector ‘played chess with the country’

Baloyi wanted the court to order her reinstatement and to declare that Mkhwebane had breached her constitutional duty to act without fear, favour or prejudice.

The high court did not deal with any of Baloyi’s claims, instead rejecting the case on the basis that it was brought to the incorrect court.

In court, Baloyi’s counsel Tembeka Ngcukaitobi argued that this case was one of concurrent jurisdiction, allowing Baloyi to make a choice as to which forum to go to. But Mkhwebane’s counsel Dali Mpofu SC had argued that the case was, at its heart, about whether the Public Protector had committed an unfair labour practice in how she dealt with Baloyi’s probation — a matter that fell under the Labour Relations Act (LRA) and therefore the labour courts.

Judge Mmonoa Teffo went through the cases that dealt with the jurisdiction of the High Court versus the labour court and Commission for Conciliation Mediation and Arbitration. She said that, in essence, Baloyi was seeking reinstatement of her employment contract. The termination happened while she was still on probation, and which had been tacitly extended, said Teffo.

“Save for the allegation that the purported termination of the employment contract of the applicant was motivated by ulterior motives, the other allegations as pleaded are essentially labour disputes as envisaged in the LRA. They meet the definitional requirements of unfair labour practices or unfair dismissal,” Teffo said.

She said what was in essence a labour dispute should not be “labelled a violation of constitutional rights” simply because the issue raised could also support a conclusion that the employer’s conduct violated a constitutional right.

“I find that this Court does not have jurisdiction to hear this matter,” she said.

In a statement later on Thursday, the Public Protector welcomed the judgment saying it had vindicated her. “The fact that the court dismissed the application on jurisdiction means the judge – having read the papers and listened to oral arguments – was not convinced that there was any merit to the claims of abuse of power and abuse of office,” said Oupa Segalwe, spokesperson for the Public Protector.

“Had the court found there was merit to the claims, it would not have dismissed the matter,” said Segalwe. 

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Franny Rabkin
Franny Rabkin
Franny is the legal reporter at the Mail & Guardian

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Cabinet reshuffle not on cards yet

There are calls for the president to act against ministers said to be responsible for the state’s slow response to the unrest, but his hands are tied

More top stories

R270m ‘housing heist’ bid deprives people of decent homes

After alleged attempts to loot Eastern Cape housing funds, 39 200 people in the province will continue to live in atrocious conditions

Stolen ammo poses security threat amid failure to protect high-risk...

A Durban depot container with 1.5-million rounds of ammunition may have been targeted, as others in the vicinity were left untouched, say security sources

Sierra Leoneans want a share of mining profits, or they...

The arrival of a Chinese gold mining company in Kono, a diamond-rich district in the east of Sierra Leone, had a devastating impact on the local community, cutting its water supply and threatening farmers’ livelihoods – and their attempts to seek justice have been frustrated at every turn

IEC to ask the courts to postpone local elections

The chairperson of the Electoral Commission of South Africa said the Moseneke inquiry found that the elections would not be free and fair if held in October
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×