A post template

No image available
/ 1 February 2008

Shut the guzzling smelters?

In the midst of a national grid meltdownwhich closed the mining industry, BHP Billiton’s three aluminium smelters, powered entirely by Eskom, were up and running — despite being some of South Africa’s greediest energy guzzlers. And the government appears determined to press ahead with establishing another massive smelter, the Rio Tinto Alcan plant, at Coega in the Eastern Cape.

No image available
/ 1 February 2008

Harmony to axe thousands

Last week’s Eskom blackout and the“stability pact” that will reduce theutility’s power supply to South Africa’s mines by 10% have forced mining companies to take stringent cost-cutting measures, including retrenchments. The Mail & Guardian has established that the mining group with the most marginal operations, Harmony, plans to retrench 10% of its 43 000-strong workforce.

No image available
/ 31 January 2008

Simon Mann loses extradition appeal

A court in Zimbabwe dismissed an appeal against the extradition of Simon Mann, a former British special forces officer accused of leading a coup plot to topple the government in the oil-rich West African nation of Equatorial Guinea, his lawyers said on Thursday. Mann’s lawyers had argued he would face torture and a likely death sentence if extradited Equatorial Guinea.

No image available
/ 31 January 2008

Govt mulls two-yearly roadworthiness tests

The government is looking at the possibility of introducing roadworthiness tests for private vehicles every two years, a senior traffic official said at the launch of a national road safety campaign in Durban on Thursday. Thabo Tsholetsane said government was ”doing a study” to see how often roadworthiness tests could be carried out.