Mail & Guardian

Rangers settle in at the top

05 May 1997 00:00 | Staff Reporter

MONDAY, 11.00AM:

LOG leaders Manning Rangers reinforced their position at the top of the League yesterday with a 4-0 walkover of bottom-of-the-table Witbank Aces on Aces' home turf at KwaGuqa, ending all hopes that Aces might avoid relegation.

Aces started the game fast and dominated play, but several chances were blown by their lack of cohesion and inability to net the ball. Rangers casually capitalised on Aces inadequacies, scoring the first goal in the 22nd minute before really turning it on for another goal two minutes later.

Half time saw the score 2-0, which Rangers matched with another two goals in the second half, to take the full time score to 4-0.

In other weekend Leugue matches:

Kaizer Chiefs came back from their 1-3 loss to Mamelodi Sundowns last week by dishing out a 3-1 hiding to Hellenic before a poor crowd at Johannesburg Stadium.

The first half saw neither side take clear advantage, with the score 0-0 at half time. Chiefs came back smoking in the second half with three goals over the time. Hellenic made a last-minute burst to avoid a complete embarrassment when sub Bradley August pipped his team's only goal in with less than a minute before full time.

AmaZulu joined Witbank Aces in the relegation zone after losing a crucial match against Michau Warriors 1-0 on their home ground at King's Park. Both sides needed the victory to avoid relegation, and Advocate Ncgoba's last-minute goal gave Warriors a bit of breathing space and a much-needed win.

In Pietersburg, Vaal Professionals and Real Rovers played a thrilling match, with Pros snatching an exciting 3-2 win from the home side.

Both sides kept on the attack to leave them even on 2-2 at half time. Then, in the second half, things turned against Rovers when Gerald Raphahlela was shown a red card for handling the ball in Pros' box in the 52nd minute. Pros' goalie Innocent Mayoyo took the kick, which was well saved by Merikani Mpangi, but Mayoyo came back and scored on the rebound to take the tally to the final 3-2.

Wits University and Bloemfontein Celtic played to a goalless draw in Bloemfontein.

Qwa-Qwa Stars fought back from 2-0 down to earn a well-deserved 2-2 draw against Supersport United in Bloemfontein. United led 2-0 at half time.

View the original online publication here