No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Judgement reserved on Judge Motata video

The Pretoria High Court on Tuesday reserved judgement in an application by Judge Nkola John Motata to stop the state from playing five potentially incriminating video and audio recordings made at the scene of his car accident. Motata was charged with drunk driving and defeating the ends of justice after smashing his Jaguar.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Lack of cooperation hinders malaria prevention

Sunburned expedition leaders fresh from a journey down the Zambezi River to call attention to malaria said on Tuesday that countries must work together to eliminate the disease. The Roll Back Malaria expedition followed the river through six countries in Southern Africa, delivering insecticide-treated nets and medication.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Gatland: Fitness could give Boks an edge

Wales coach Warren Gatland said that the physical conditioning of South African players could give the world champion Springboks an edge in the first Test in Bloemfontein on Saturday. ”That’s one of the biggest fears we’ve got — how physical and fit these South African players are from the Super 14,” said Gatland.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

‘Can’t have JSC fiddling’ on Hlophe

The General Council of the Bar, representing most of the country’s advocates, on Tuesday added its voice to calls for Cape Judge President John Hlophe to step down. Chairperson Jannie Eksteen said if Hlophe did not voluntarily go on leave, the minister of justice or the Judicial Service Commission (JSC) ”must see how that can be facilitated as a matter of urgency”.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

‘Liar’ Jordaan guilty of Sheldean murder

Andrew Jordaan took seven-year-old Sheldean Human to isolated bushes 500m from his home in a ”premeditated manner” to sexually assault and murder her, the Pretoria High Court found on Tuesday. Acting Judge Chris Eksteen rejected Jordaan’s version of what happened on February 18 2007 when Sheldean disappeared, calling him ”a blatant liar”.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

SABC board appointment process to be reviewed

The procedures of appointing the South African Broadcasting Corporation’s (SABC) board are to be reviewed, Communications Minister Ivy Matsepe-Casaburri said on Tuesday. Speaking in the National Assembly she said there had been a national debate about the SABC as a result of views that emerged out of the assembly’s communications committee hearings.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Els to focus on mental game

Ernie Els says he needs to work on his mental game ahead of the United States Open which tees off on June 12 at Torrey Pines in California. After missing consecutive cuts in his last two outings, Els has opted not to play in this week’s Stanford St Jude Championship in Memphis to concentrate on his preparation.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Mboweni warns on rates, inflation

South Africa’s targeted inflation is not expected back in the 3% to 6% band before the end of 2009, and there are significant upside risks to this forecast, South African Reserve Bank Governor Tito Mboweni said on Tuesday. The Reserve Bank has raised its repo rate by 450 basis points to 11,5% since June 2006 to try to tame inflation.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Refugee case back in court on Friday

Lawyers for Human Rights, the organisation opposing the relocation of foreigners displaced by Xenophobic violence to City Deep in Johannesburg, will return to court on Friday. The Johannesburg High Court granted an urgent interdict on Monday preventing the relocation of the foreigners to City Deep for security reasons.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Call for Hlophe to step down

Cape Judge President John Hlophe should step down from his post until the latest complaint against him has been resolved, according to the Cape Bar Council. ”It would be untenable for Judge Hlophe to continue in office pending the determination of the complaint by the Judicial Services Commission,” the council said on Tuesday.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

Behaviour of ‘drunken’ commissioner to be probed

The Correctional Services Ministry is investigating reports of drunken behaviour by its national commissioner, spokesperson Manelisi Wolela said on Tuesday. Commissioner Vernon Petersen reportedly misbehaved at a dinner attended by Correctional Services Minister Ngconde Balfour and several of his African counterparts at Kievietskroon, outside Pretoria, on Thursday.

No image available
/ 3 June 2008

‘They are terrorised, they are traumatised’

Immigrant leaders in South Africa said on Monday that thousands of refugees frustrated at miserable living conditions were on the point of retaliating against a wave of xenophobic attacks. Tens of thousands of immigrants have been forced to take refuge at temporary shelters around the country after mobs began attacking foreigners.