No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Eskom blamed for poor communication

Eskom’s ”poor communication” during the current electricity crisis is of major concern to the tourism industry, the City of Cape Town said on Friday. Simon Grindrod, the city’s mayoral committee member for economic development and tourism, said the tourism industry found it difficult to cope with the power cuts because Eskom was not providing accurate information.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Boeremag accused a changed man, court hears

Boeremag accused Kobus Pretorius was a changed man after ”meeting Christ” while being held in jail, the Pretoria High Court heard on Friday. Counsel for Pretorius, Annelie Van der Walt, argued before Judge Khami Makhafola that Pretorius should be released on bail so that he could become involved in church and school activities.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Zille: Govt chose guns over power stations

If, back in the 1990s, the government had chosen to spend billions of rands on new power stations instead of armaments, South Africa would not now be facing an electricity crisis, Democratic Alliance leader Helen Zille said on Friday. ”It chose to spend billions of rands on arms that we do not need,” she said.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

SA mines shut down as power crisis worsens

South African gold producers and the world’s biggest platinum miner suspended production at all their mines in the country on Friday due to a power crisis, helping send precious metal prices to new highs. Shares in most of the affected firms dived as the government said the power cuts were ”a national emergency”.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Govt outlines plans for power crisis

Switch off your lights is what the government is urging South Africans to do to immediately address what it calls a ”national electricity emergency”. On Friday, Public Enterprises Minister Alec Erwin and Minerals and Energy Minister Buyelwa Sonjica outlined several plans to alleviate the country’s electricity shortage.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Traffic lights to go solar

Long queues of vehicles at traffic lights knocked out by power cuts may soon be a thing of the past. ”All traffic lights and public lights will be converted to solar power, with battery back-up,” Minerals and Energy Minister Buyelwa Sonjica said in Pretoria on Friday.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Lekota: Lohatla deaths were an accident

Investigations into the incident at the South African Army Combat Training Centre in Lohatla in which nine soldiers were killed have revealed that the tragedy was caused by a mechanical failure, Defence Minister Mosiuoa Lekota said on Friday. The nine soldiers died when a 35mm Oerlikon GDF MK-5 gun malfunctioned at the training centre on October 12 last year.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Soapie star’s comments anger ANC

The African National Congress (ANC) has lashed out at a popular soap opera actress for claiming the ANC murders its opponents, and is considering legal action against her. The actress, Winnie Ntshaba, who plays Khethiwe in the soap opera Generations, was speaking at an Inkatha Freedom Party (IFP) gathering.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Power failures a ‘national emergency’

South Africa’s rolling power failures are a ”national emergency” but economic growth can continue at healthy levels if energy is used more efficiently, Public Enterprises Minister Alec Erwin said on Friday. ”It is clear that we are running our power system at utilisation levels that are overstretching maintanance,” Erwin said.

No image available
/ 25 January 2008

Survey shows SA wealth gap widening

South Africa’s wealth gap is widening and the average black citizen still only earns an eighth of what his white counterpart does nearly 14 years after the end of apartheid. In its annual survey, the Institute for Justice and Reconciliation, said inequality rose from 0,60 in 2006 to 0,62 last year on a zero to one scale.

No image available
/ 24 January 2008

Staff members steal R2,5m from W Cape administration

Thieving staff members caused losses worth R2,5-million in the Western Cape provincial administration in the last 12 months, the Bellville Specialised Commercial Crimes Court heard on Thursday. The deputy director in the administration’s Forensic Investigation Unit, Rajendra Naidoo, testified at the trial of a former staff member, Melanie Otto.

No image available
/ 24 January 2008

Top matrics get a presidential handshake

President Thabo Mbeki congratulated the country’s top matric students of 2007 — 18 pupils from the nine provinces — at the presidential guest house in Pretoria on Thursday. The pupils had received scholarships through the Thabo Mbeki Matric Merit Awards programme, which is administered by the Thabo Mbeki Education Trust.

No image available
/ 24 January 2008

Skielik: ‘There is no trust in the world’

About 600 mourners, officials, politicians and family members gathered at a memorial service held for the victims of the Skielik shootings just outside Swartruggens on Thursday afternoon. School principal Cherian Kocheapen said: ”Our learners cried after this incident. People are afraid of the place [Skielik] and the situation.”

No image available
/ 24 January 2008

Welders severely burned in tank explosion

Two welders were critically injured when the tank in which they were working exploded in Pietermaritzburg, paramedics said. Netcare 911 said two men were taken to the city’s St Anne’s Hospital. Police spokesperson Inspector Joey Jeevan confirmed the explosion but could not immediately provide any details.

No image available
/ 24 January 2008

ANC replaces chief whip

African National Congress (ANC) parliamentary Chief Whip Isaac Mogase was on Wednesday removed from his position by the party’s new leadership. Briefing reporters after the party’s caucus met at Parliament, ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe said Mogase would be replaced by ANC MP Nathi Mthethwa.

No image available
/ 24 January 2008

SA to head UN Security Council again

South Africa will have a second opportunity this year to head the United Nations Security Council, the Department of Foreign Affairs said on Thursday. South Africa, a non-permanent member of the 15-nation Security Council, will take over the presidency of the UN-decision making body in April again.