No image available
/ 28 September 2007

Sinkhole swallows house in Khutsong

A three-bedroom house in Khutsong, near Carletonville, caved in as a result of a sinkhole on Friday, the Merafong municipality said. Spokesperson Seabo Gaeganelwe said nobody was injured as the occupants had moved two months ago. A survey in 1997 found that 90% of Khutsong fell within extremely high-risk zones.

No image available
/ 28 September 2007

Lotto is back with a R15-million bang

After an absence of six months, the National Lottery would make its comeback with a jackpot prize of R15-million, newly appointed Lotto operator Gidani announced on Friday. Tickets for the first draw which would take place on October 13, would go on sale at 7 000 retailers across the country from October 5.

No image available
/ 28 September 2007

No holds barred at SA’s first Sexpo

Meet Max, the Stud Butler. He’s an oversized, flesh-coloured ventriloquist’s dummy with a bow tie and hard-on — the world’s first hands-free sex toy, available at South Africa’s first sex expo, the Sexpo. However, he won’t fit discreetly into the underwear drawer, and will probably require a cupboard all to himself.

No image available
/ 28 September 2007

Petrol-price hike set to hit motorists

The retail price of 91 unleaded and 93 unleaded and lead-replacement petrol will rise by 9 cents a litre on Wednesday October 3, the Department of Minerals and Energy announced on Friday. The price of 95 unleaded and lead-replacement petrol will increase by 10 cents a litre. The wholesale price of diesel — all grades — will rise by 23 cents a litre.

No image available
/ 28 September 2007

Madisha on the carpet over R500 000 donation

The Congress of South African Trade Unions has called for a special meeting next week to ”discuss and finalise” the fate of its president Willie Madisha, a media report said on Friday. Earlier this month, Madisha came under fire from his own executive for the way he handled the matter of a R500 000 ”donation” to the South African Communist Party.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

SABC: Arrest warrant issued for Selebi

A warrant of arrest has been issued for police National Commissioner Jackie Selebi, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) reported on Thursday. The state broadcaster said it had reliably learnt that the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) obtained the warrant. NPA spokesperson Tlali Tlali would not comment on the report late on Thursday afternoon.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Motata trial focuses on audio recordings

It was a day of wrangling over evidence in the drunken-driving trial of Judge Nkola Motata at the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday. The court adjourned on Thursday afternoon after prosecutor Zaais van Zyl attempted to enter five recordings made by Baird on his cellphone, allegedly of Motata using derogatory language.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

TAC allegations defamatory, says Qunta lawyer

Allegations that South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) board deputy chairperson Christine Qunta is involved in a company selling medicines purported to cure HIV/Aids were ”irresponsible and defamatory”, her lawyer said on Thursday. Athol Gordon was responding to a comments by Zachie Achmat of the Treatment Action Campaign (TAC).

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Aardklop left in the dark

Festival-goers at the Aardklop National Arts Festival, under way in Potchefstroom, were forced to abandon the afternoon shows half way through on Thursday when the electricity went out in most of the town. It was not immediately clear what caused the power failure but several shows were interrupted and later scrapped as performers and audiences alike waited for the power to return.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Work resumes at Green Point Stadium

Work resumed on Cape Town’s 2010 Soccer World Cup stadium in Green Point on Thursday after a week-long strike. ”Work resumed this morning. It’s been a normal working day and we are very pleased,” deputy project director Ray Gamble said. He declined to comment further on the stoppage that has cost contractors Murray & Roberts and WBHO five days’ work.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Parreira takes aim at authorities

Bafana Bafana coach Carlos Alberto Parreira has criticised the South African soccer authorities for not showing more concern in his quest to shape up his team for the 2010 Soccer World Cup. ”We are hosting the World Cup in two-and-a-half years and people don’t seem to understand the urgency in preparing the team for it,” said Parreira.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Zille accuses cops of plot to infiltrate Padlac

Western Cape police were involved in a plot to plant agents provocateurs within an organisation waging peaceful protest marches against drugs, Cape Town mayor Helen Zille said on Thursday. Zille, who recently participated in People against Drugs, Liquor and Crime (Padlac) marches, said she had information confirming that police were intending to infiltrate Padlac.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

DA: SA safety ‘utterly abysmal’

The Democratic Alliance (DA) on Thursday said that South Africa being ranked the third least safe place out of 48 countries on the African continent indicates that the country is critically unsafe. ”South Africa’s safety and security performance is utterly abysmal,” said the party’s spokesperson on safety and security, Dianne Kohler-Barnard.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

SA is going backwards, says DA

South Africa is moving backwards in key development areas such as economics and safety and security, says the Democratic Alliance (DA). ”When considering year-by-year positions on various indices, South Africa is actually backsliding rather than improving,” says a DA survey, launched by DA parliamentary leader Sandra Botha on Thursday.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Business booms in Soweto

The construction cranes towering and the cacophony of concrete churning and trucks rumbling are the sights and sounds of a business boom in South Africa’s most famous township. Black South Africans are reaping the benefits of a growing economy, and at the heart of it all is Soweto, the huge township south-west of Johannesburg.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Good buying interest keeps JSE firm

Good buying interest was seen across the board on the JSE on Thursday and by midday the all-share index was up 224 points, with one trader speculating that it could close above the 30 000 level. A trader said the JSE was approaching its all-time high of 30 046,3, reached on Tuesday.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Cellphone recordings discussed at Motata trial

The state would try to admit cellphone audio and video recordings in the drunk-driving trial of Pretoria High Court judge Nkola Motata being heard in the Johannesburg Magistrate’s Court on Thursday. The recordings were made by Richard James Baird, into whose wall Motata allegedly crashed in Hurlingham, Johannesburg, on January 6.

No image available
/ 27 September 2007

Sundowns reign supreme in PSL

Suspect on the bigger stage in Africa, but continuing to reign supreme in South Africa, current Premier Soccer League (PSL) and Supa8 champions Mamelodi Sundowns sauntered to a 3-0 victory over Golden Arrows in the opening game of the lucrative Telkom Knockout Cup at Loftus on Wednesday night.