Between 1936 and 1975 a radio station subverted young Jo’burgers all the way from Mozambique. LM Radio’s highly effective ad department came for their money, but it was its DJs that took their souls with the freewheeling “hippy” music that they played. Historian Charles van Onselen explains how that made the apartheid elders at the SABC spitting mad.
Title: S1 Ep10: Rebel Radio Volume Two
Host: Charles Leonard
Guest: Charles van Onselen
Photograph: Charles Leonard
Compiled, produced, hosted & engineered by Charles Leonard.
Recorded in July 2023 for the Johannesburg Institute for Advanced Study (JIAS).
- CCS – The Band Played the Boogie
- Manfred Mann – 5, 4, 3, 2, 1
- War – Me and Baby Brother
- Stevie Wonder – Higher Ground
- Manfred Mann’s Earth Band – Joybringer
- Letta Mbulu – I Need Your Love