Arts & Entertainment
Khetsiwe ‘Doowap’ Morgan, 33, a live mix, DJ, radio and TV host, sound engineer and performing artist is a game-changer and innovator within the music and creative sector that has shaken the scene with her innovative hairstyles, bold outfits, eclectic music and inspiring world tours.
Doowap is a proudly South African musical prodigy. She had her own show on YFM was the Riky Ricks DJ for a few years touring around the country. She has performed at every major festival in South Africa as well as international festivals such as Afropunk (Jozi and New York), Mysteryland (Netherlands), Soulection show at Brooklyn Mirage in New York, Boiler Room and Sole DXB in Dubai. Doowap’s EP, Mood Swings, received great acclaim. She has also collaborated with brands like Daily Paper, BMW, Hennessy, the NBA, Sole DXB and Street Cred.
After receiving a springboard diving scholarship to complete matric at Kingsmead in Rosebank, Doowap joined team SA and competed internationally for five years. This experience gave her a champion go-getter mentality which made her an unstoppable force.
She fell in love with music at an early age with her parents owning night clubs like Morgans and Insomnia in the 1990s and early 2000s, which hosted DJs and artists such as Glen Lewis, Oskido and Boom Shaka. “I remember playing with all kinds of sound equipment, recording myself, performing for my family, and being surrounded by a huge collection of Vinyl records,” Doowap says.
- Primary and high school at French school, Lycée Français Jules Verne, Johannesburg, until grade 11.
- Matric at Kingsmead in Rosebank, Springboard Diving scholarship.
- Professional springboard diving champion in South Africa for five years, competing in international events.
- Studied Sound Engineering at London Metropolitan University
- Completed studies at the Academy of Sound Engineering, Johannesburg, in 2014.
- Hosted YFM from 2013 to 2016 and had the honor to be Riky Ricks DJ for a few years touring around SA.
- Performed at every major festival in South Africa (e.g., Oppikoppi, Rocking The Daisies, Smoking Dragon) as well as international festivals such as Afropunk (Jozi and New York), Mysteryland (Netherlands), Soulection show at Brooklyn Mirage in New York, Boiler Room and Sole DXB in Dubai.
- Played at numerous Paris Fashion Weeks for brands such as Daily Paper, Karl Kani, and FUBU, and historic venues such as Silencio in Paris and Paradisio in Amsterdam.
- Opening act for MIA and Diploma.
Being a springboard diver for South Africa gave me the champion go-getter mentality which has made me an unstoppable force in my field. My parents owned night clubs like Morgans and Insomnia in the 1990s and early 2000s which had DJs and artists such as Glen Lewis, Oskido, and Boom Shaka grace the stage was definitely a huge contributing factor to my choosing to enter into the music industry. I remember playing with all kinds of sound equipment, recording myself, performing for my family, and being surrounded by a huge collection of Vinyl records.
I’d tell my younger self to trust my instincts because all the answers are within me and to live fearlessly because everyone’s journey is different. I’d also emphasise on the importance of hard work, structure, and discipline.
I would love us to firstly be using renewable energy to power our country, have a supportive arts and culture sector, and a less corrupt government that invests in the youth by creating more jobs, providing accessible internet for everyone, and cheaper tertiary education.