Tourism & Hospitality
“I remember every time I saw a plane fly over, I would always wonder where it is headed and who the people on the plane were. I would take the map out and pin my ‘predictions’.
This led me to learn more about the distinctiveness of each province in the country, memories of every country in Africa, its capital cities and leaders,” says Penelope Tshilwane, 30, the founder of Traveluxescapes, a travel company that encourages travel across Africa. Penelope is passionate about empowering travel among black people, especially black women who are scared to travel on their own.
Traveluxescapes has also tapped into the international market, promoting South Africa and other African countries as the ultimate destination of choice. Debunking myths about Africa by sharing positive travel stories whether it is on a safari trip deep in the Serengeti, showcasing South Africa’s beautiful landscapes and diverse people, to bear witness to Ghana’s harrowing past or an educational trip to ancient Egypt.
Traveluxescapes has hosted trips in Tanzania, Zanzibar, South Africa, Ghana and Egypt. Penelope’s mantra is “connect the African diaspora through travel”. She has built a solid brand that connects people from different walks of life and helps women take their first solo trips safely.
- BA in Motion Picture, AFDA
- Post-graduate diploma in brand contact management, VEGA
- Advanced diploma in management practice, Henley Business School
- Hosting safari experiences in the greater Kruger area and Tanzania’s northern safari circuit, including the Ngorongoro crater and the Serengetti
- Empowering black women with the knowledge and tools to confidently take their first solo trips, domestic and international
- Helping the African diaspora to reconnect with Africa through the immersion of cultural trips
- Hosting annual trips in South Africa, Egypt, Thailand, Kenya, Tanzania, Ghana, Zanzibar, Kenya
I remember every time I saw a plane fly over, I would always wonder where it is headed and who the people on the plane were. I would take the map out and pin my “predictions”. This led me to learn more about the distinctiveness of each province in the country, memories of every country in Africa, its capital cities & leaders.
By the time I could afford to travel, the homework and preparations had already been done. I commit myself to the goals I set for myself and remain consistent even when i feel unmotivated because that curious and driven little girl never left me.
I know that you are brave and curious. Go out there into the world and immerse yourself in experiences that will last you a lifetime.
I would like to see more youth creating opportunities for themselves, starting businesses and becoming industry leaders in their fields of interest, and leverage on existing & future technology to reach global markets.