Egyptian technicians on Monday were to inspect an old French aircraft carrier, heading for an Indian scrapyard, ahead of its planned transit through the Suez canal after a delay caused by controversy over the warship's asbestos insulation. In a further potential legal snag, India's Supreme Court on Monday banned the ship from entering Indian waters before February 13.
Former South African mining holding company Gencor on Monday announced that it had paid R460,5-million to various trusts as part of its asbestos claims settlement. Of the amount, R40-million was specifically held for rehabilitation claims.
South African mine holding company Gencor and asbestos mining claimants could reach a settlement agreement by week end or at the latest the end of March, said Richard Spoor, a lawyer from legal firm Ntuli, Noble & Spoor, representing the claimants.
The bankers of Cape plc -- the company that reached an out-of-court settlement with asbestosis victims last year -- would be held personally responsible if it is proved they were responsible for reneging on the agreement, says the victims' legal counsel.
The case brought by 7 500 South African mineworkers against UK multinational, Cape Plc, has taken a new turn as London-based and local lawyers join forces and challenge the terms of Gencor's proposed unbundling in the Cape Town High Court.