Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Mxenge death sparks Durban bloodshed

The murder of Durban lawyer Victoria Mxenge has sparked off intense violence in the townships surrounding Durban, leaving 19 people dead within the last few days. The most severe violence occurred after a memorial meeting for Mxenge on Wednesday night.

According to eye-witnesses, the meeting was disrupted by about 100 stick and spear-wielding men who entered the packed hall in Umlazi and clashed with the crowd. Earlier, part of the crowd at me meeting, railed by the United Democratic Front, had erected barricades in the street outside the hall because they had baud that the men would be coming.

However many of the men managed to enter the hall and clashed violently with the crowd. Eye-witnesses described an all-out battle between the two groups. After a short while, police arrived and used teargas and rubber bullet to disperse the crowd.

By the end of the evening, 12 people had been certified dead on arrival at hospital and at least 109 were injured. Two more people died after-being admitted. Another five people have died in various incidents during the week, three of them yesterday. After the meeting, there were numerous incidents of stone-throwing, burnings and looting.

Indians, many of them traders in the area were prime victims of the violence. All the shops in Inanda were burnt to the ground. As many as 500 families apparently fled the townships in terror and special arrangements were being made to accommodate them.

At noon yesterday, violence flared again with the burning of a store and a refuse truck near the Indian township of Phoenix. Late yesterday, the Minister of Police, Louis la Grange, and the Chief Minister of KwaZulu, Chief Gatsha Buthelezi, met with senior police officer in Durban to discuss the violence.

According to SAPA, the State President PW Botha, has said the government but no plans to extend the State of Emergency to the Durban area.

Subscribe to the M&G

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

‘People feel they have a stake in SAA’ — Gidon...

Interest in the beleaguered national carrier, which has received billions of rands in public funding, means criticism is inevitable

Soweto teacher dismissed for the alleged repeated rape of a...

The learner was 13 when the alleged rapes started, and they continued for two years until she asked to be moved to another school

More top stories

Kanalelo Boloetsi: Taking on Lesotho’s cellphone giants, and winning

A man who took on cellphone data regulators over out-of-bundle rates is featured in this edition of a series on human rights defenders in the SADC region

Iqbal Sharma’s brother-in-law granted bail in Free State farming case

Dinesh Patel appeared on the same charges that have seen Sharma denied bail and the prosecuting authority seek the extradition of the Gupta brothers

Two-million new J&J jabs to come within two weeks, says...

Johnson & Johnson plans to replace our two-million unusable vaccines by July. The vaccines are unsuitable for use and must be destroyed, while the country’s vaccination programme is behind schedule

A year later, the hard lockdown haunts Durban’s pleasure boat...

With income cut by 40%, operators fear the move back to level 2 of lockdown
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×