/ 27 July 1999

Harsh penalties after circumcision deaths

PETER DICKSON, East London | Tuesday 12.30pm.

HARSH penalties, including criminal charges, await traditional nurses after the death of ten Xhosa initiates in the worst-ever week of botched Transkei circumcision ceremonies.

All ten victims, mostly from the Lusikisiki, Mount Frere and Flagstaff districts, died at their circumcision schools while another 40 mutilated initiates, some of whom had been assaulted by traditional nurses who were drunk and high on dagga, were admitted to various hospitals in the region.

Eastern Cape House of Traditional Leaders chairman Mwelo Nonkonyana warned that murder and culpable homicide charges would be laid by traditional leaders where there was clear evidence of gross negligence or assault.

Chief Nonkonyana said after a meeting of the House in Bisho that bush doctors and nurses, in a move designed to send a clear message to all, would also be brought before traditional regional authority courts and slapped with heavy fines.

Nonkonyana said a vigorous screening process was vital in preventing further deaths in the ancient seasonal ceremonies, held at isolated circumcision lodges in the bush that are often built without the knowledge of initiates’ parents, that mark the rite of passage to manhood for Xhosa youth.

Many traditional doctors did not have the experience or expertise to perform circumcision rituals and the House had recommended they be properly trained and receive accreditation certificates from traditional authorities. Permission for the rituals to be performed would also be required by an area’s Great Place – home of the tribal paramount chief – as well as parental consent after being declared medically fit by a doctor.

Endorsing the House decision today, Transkei health director Chauke Ngoma said the recommendations would finally bring “sanity” to the ancient custom.