Mo Shaik takes control of Nkobi Group

Mo Shaik, brother of fraud convict Schabir Shaik, has taken the helm at the Nkobi Group, the firm that has a key stake in South Africa’s arms deal.

This was confirmed by Mo, who was previously a senior official in the Department of Foreign Affairs, at a media conference held at the Cape Talk radio offices in Cape Town on Monday — just a few hours after Schabir lost his application to the Supreme Court of Appeal in Bloemfontein against two counts of corruption and one of fraud, related to South Africa’s arms deal.

“I have assumed responsibility of the affairs of the Nkobi Group,” he said, noting that the group is in the process of “winding down” its affairs.

Without explaining further, he said that the judgment handed down on Monday will assist Nkobi in dealing with “any obligations” that arise from the appeals court decision.

Asked how much the legal process in defending his brother had cost, he said it had been very expensive but did not attach a figure to it.


Nkobi is connected to the arms deal — a multibillion-rand package to re-equip the South African Navy with patrol corvettes and submarines and the air force with jet trainers and light fighter aircraft — indirectly.

Schabir was a director of African Defence Systems (ADS), a subsidiary of Thomson CSF (also known as Thales and Thint). ADS also employed Schabir’s brother Chippie’s wife, Zarina, while Chippie himself is a former chief director of procurement in the South African Defence Department.

Thomson CSF/Thales, a French arms manufacturer, was awarded a contract to supply management technology for four corvette patrol vessels for the navy. Thales International now owns 60% of shareholding in ADS while a 20% shareholding is held by Nkobi Investments, according to a Thales website. — I-Net Bridge

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Gauteng responds to grave concern

The news of Gauteng’s grave site preparations raised alarm about the expected number of Covid-19-related deaths in the province

Nigeria’s anti-corruption boss arrested for corruption

Ibrahim Magu’s arrest by the secret police was a surprise — but also not surprising

Eskom refers employees suspected of contracts graft for criminal investigations

The struggling power utility has updated Parliament on investigations into contracts where more than R4-billion was lost in overpayments
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday