/ 21 February 2007

Winnie’s Orlando West home robbed

Winnie Madikizela-Mandela’s plush Soweto home was robbed of jewellery worth R4-million, the Star reported on Wednesday.

The former African National Congress Women’s League president returned from an overseas trip on Monday evening and found two of her safes had been stolen and a third had been tampered with.

Madikizela-Mandela had left several relatives staying at her Orlando West home while she was away.

A case of theft was opened at the Orlando police station.

There were no signs of a break-in and an investigation into the incident was being conducted, Soweto police spokesperson Captain Jacqueline Mbatha told the paper.

Madikizela-Mandela’s home is protected by CCTV camera’s, high walls, on-site security personnel and dogs.

A spokesperson for Madikizela-Mandela said other than the contents of the safe, nothing else seemed to have been taken from the house. – Sapa