Giant sinkhole swallows homes in Guatemala

A 100m-deep sinkhole swallowed about a dozen homes early on Friday in a crowded, Guatemala City neighbourhood, killing at least two teenagers and forcing the evacuation of nearly 1 000 people.

Officials said recent rains and an underground sewage flow from a ruptured main caused the sinkhole.

The pit emitted foul odours, loud noises and tremors, shaking the surrounding ground. A rush of water could be heard from its depths and authorities feared it could widen or others could open up.

Rescue operations were on hold until a firefighter, suspended from a cable, could take video and photos above the hole and officials could use the results to decide how to move forward.

Emergency services spokesperson Juan Carlos Bolanos identified the dead as Irma and David Soyos. Their bodies were found near the sinkhole, floating in a river of sewage. Their father, Domingo, was still missing, according to national disaster coordinator Hugo Hernandez.

Residents said others were also still missing, but Hernandez couldn’t confirm that.

Edward Ramirez (26) said he and other residents had been hearing noises and feeling tremors for about a month before the sinkhole appeared before dawn, waking many in the poor neighbourhood.

”People were shouting, ‘The electric posts are falling down!”’ said Ramirez, who lives 50m from the hole. ”We are going to a friend’s house now. There’s no way we’ll stay here.”

Police helped residents move out of their homes. Some officers even carried refrigerators and televisions on their shoulders, while other pushed sofas on makeshift carts. Security officials were on guard for possible looters and to clear the area of onlookers.

Cristobal Colon, a spokesperson for the municipal water authority, said the sewage main ruptured after becoming clogged. He said the city was aware of the blockage and the army had been considering a controlled explosion to clear the pipe, which carries both rainwater and sewage for much of the capital.

Antonio Fuentes (50) said he plans to abandon the run-down neighbourhood he has called home for 15 years.

”Last night a friend had to take my handicapped wife out on motorcycle,” he said. ”Now I’m leaving for good, never to come back.” — Sapa-AP

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Opposition announces motion of no confidence in Ramaphosa

Parties are bringing the motion in response to the Phala Phala scandal, two months after tabling another for his impeachment on the same grounds

Contaminated Isipingo lagoon and other beaches leaves KwaZulu-Natal fishers reeling

The contamination has resulted in the lagoon being closed while a cleanup is underway, cutting off fishers’ source of income

WATCH: Could new abortion rules in the US affect the...

The US government has appointed the first African head of its Aids fund, Pepfar. John Nkengasong, a Cameroonian virologist

Slow implementation spurs frustration over South Africa’s jobs crisis

So says Rudi Dicks, who is in charge of coordinating President Cyril Ramaphosa’s initiatives to drive structural reforms and employment
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×