Thousands flee as Philippines pursues militants

Thousands of people have fled their homes on the southern Philippine island of Jolo as troops pursue Muslim militants blamed for killing more than 20 soldiers, officials said on Saturday.

Jolo brigade commander Colonel Anthony Supnet said his troops would continue to hunt the gunmen, even though they had broken up into smaller groups and scattered into the hinterlands of Jolo.

Supnet said the attackers were members of the Moro National Liberation Front (MNLF), a group that had signed a peace accord with the government in 1996, and the Abu Sayyaf, an extremist group not covered by the accord.

He accused the MNLF of helping the Abu Sayyaf, saying that a prominent Abu Sayyaf member who was killed in the fighting had an MNLF membership card.

The military has suffered at least 26 dead and 17 wounded in the fighting in Jolo over the past week. Most of them were killed in two ambushes on Thursday.


Five Muslim rebels have also been confirmed killed but Supnet said that local residents told them that about 40 had been slain. He said the rebels removed the bodies of their comrades.

He alleged that among the rebels hiding with the MNLF forces were two wanted members of the South-east Asian terrorist group Jemaah Islamiyaah, Dulmatin and Umar Patek.

Dulmatin and Umar Patek are accused of involvement in the 2002 Bali bombings that left over 200 people dead. The Abu Sayyaf are blamed for the worst terror attacks in the Philippines, mostly targeting Christians and foreigners.

Both the Jemaah Islamiyah and the Abu Sayyaf have been linked by local and foreign intelligence services to the al-Qaeda network.

Supnet said the operation would continue despite the deaths of the soldiers.

“We have a price to pay and we cannot hide our casualties, unlike the opposition. We won’t stop until we get these high value targets,” he said.

The fighting has caused about 8 000 people to flee their homes, the provincial disaster coordinating council said.

Social welfare officers, who were to distribute relief goods to the villagers, were only able to enter the affected areas on Saturday because of the threat of attack earlier.

About 6 000 soldiers have arrived in Jolo to bolster the operation against the Abu Sayyaf and MNLF. — AFP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

‘Fake news’ fears as Covid-19 highlights the dangers of misinformation

Reliable news coverage is needed more than ever, but trust in the media is at an all-time low

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on

More battles ahead for domestic worker unions

Florence Sosiba, speaks to the Mail & Guardian about how important domestic workers are and exclusion in the COIDA

“Life has been good to me, considering where I come from” – Xolani Gwala

Just over a year ago, veteran radio presenter Xolani Gwala’s cancer was in remission. He spoke to the Mail & Guardian once he was back on air.

Kanya Cekeshe’s lawyer appeals decision not to grant him bail to the high court

Kanya Cekeshe’s legal team filed an urgent appeal at the Johannesburg high court on Tuesday against Monday’s judgment by magistrate Theunis Carstens.

Leader’s principal aim to build IFP

Gravitas: Velenkosini Hlabisa brings his experience to his new post as leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party.
Advertising

Subscribers only

SAA bailout raises more questions

As the government continues to grapple with the troubles facing the airline, it would do well to keep on eye on the impending Denel implosion

ANC’s rogue deployees revealed

Despite 6 300 ANC cadres working in government, the party’s integrity committee has done little to deal with its accused members

More top stories

Finance probe into the Ingonyama Trust Board goes ahead

The threat of legal action from ITB chairperson Jerome Ngwenya fails to halt forensic audit ordered by the land reform minister

Ailing Far East Rand hospital purchases ‘vanity’ furniture

Dr Zacharia Mathaba, who purchased the furniture, is a suspected overtime fraudster and was appointed as Gauteng hospital chief executive despite facing serious disciplinary charges

Eusebius McKaiser: Reject the dichotomy of political horrors

Senekal shows us that we must make a stand against the loud voice of the populist EFF and racist rightwingers

Seals abort pups in mass die-off

There are a number of factors — a pollutant, virus or bacteria or malnutrition — may have caused the 12 000 deaths on Namibia’s coast
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday