Son of Kenya's Arap Moi to sue over graft claims

The son of former Kenyan president Daniel arap Moi has threatened to sue a British newspaper that claimed his father and associates stole a billion dollars during his rule, state media said on Saturday.

Gideon Moi said he would sue the Guardian newspaper that reported that Moi’s family, shell companies, hidden trusts, frontmen and associates got at least a billion dollars out of the country during his 24-year regime that ended in 2002.

Gideon, an MP, rejected the claims by the Guardian, which was quoting a report by Britain-based risk consultancy group Kroll.

“No family member had seen the report and the allegations contained therein are untrue,” the state-run Kenya Broadcasting Corporation quoted Gideon as saying.

On Friday, Kenyan government spokesperson Alfred Mutua said the report was tailored to sully President Mwai Kibaki, who is seeking a second and final term in the year-end polls.

Earlier this week, Moi backed his successor Kibaki’s bid, a move seen as a decisive boost to the incumbent’s chances.

Kibaki came to power in 2002 chiefly on a platform of ending systemic graft, but his regime has faced accusations of fostering the vice that nearly grounded the country’s economy.

During Moi’s rule, the country was saddled with extreme poverty and all-pervading corruption that prompted then Bretton Woods institutions to halt funding.—Sapa-AFP

.
.

Client Media Releases

Different routes for tackling matric through distance learning
UKZN specialist all set for US study trip
IIE Distance/Online learning at Rosebank College
NWU researcher awarded for her fight towards better health for Africans