US fears threats to peace process in Sudan

The United States fears that attacks in Darfur and an impasse in implementation of a peace agreement in southern Sudan threaten peace efforts throughout the embattled North African country.

In a statement discussing Sudan’s new pitfalls to peace on Friday night, US State Department deputy spokesperson Tom Casey urged both the Sudan People’s Liberation Movement (SPLM) and the Sudanese government to back away from recent hostile moves.

He also urged harder work to implement the two-year-old peace agreement that has been viewed as the best chance to end the two-decades-long north-south civil war.

The rebel SPLM accused the central government on Thursday of failing to abide by the peace agreement and suspended its participation in the government.

In his statement, Casey said the US urged the governing National Congress Party and the SPLM ”to refrain from violence, immediately withdraw their armed forces along the north-south border in accordance with the comprehensive peace agreement, and redouble their efforts to fully implement the agreement in good faith and adhere to ceasefires”.

As for Darfur, Casey said peace will come only through full implementation of a tentative peace agreement and new negotiations this month in Libya.

He said government and rebel factions from the western Sudan region should ”focus their energies on readying themselves for peace negotiations, beginning in Libya on October 27.

”We continue our efforts to support humanitarian assistance, the full and rapid deployment of the [United Nations-supported] peacekeeping force and the UN-led political process,” Casey said. — Sapa-AP

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Mkhwebane would not hear of Gupta links to Estina: witness

The suspended public protector told him she would pleased if the probe into the scam delivered no adverse findings, Reginald Ndou tells inquiry

Editorial: The ANC won’t listen to its own conscience, the...

The party’s top officials seem to have no real inclination to follow through with the integrity commission’s recommendations on corruption

Nxesi: The changing definition of work demands a review of...

The labour minister noted many informal workers had been excluded from the country’s Covid-19 relief scheme

Tazné van Wyk murder accused admits to absconding parole

Moyhdian Pangkaeker evaded the justice system for about four years during which time he twice absconded while on parole. He faces 27 charges, 24 of which he allegedly committed while on parole.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×