Italy police say accidentally killed soccer fan

A policeman accidentally shot dead a soccer fan on Sunday during a confrontation between supporters of rival clubs in Italy, police said.

The shooting took place after Lazio and Juventus supporters clashed at a motorway restaurant near the Tuscan city of Arezzo.

”It was a tragic error,” the police chief in Arezzo, Vincenzo Giacobbe, said in a statement. ”Our agent intervened to prevent the scuffles between two small groups of people […] from degenerating,” he said.

”I express my deep grief and sincere condolences to the family of the victim.”

A senior police source in Rome said the victim, 25-year-old Gabriele Sandri, was killed inside a car of Lazio fans when a policeman from a patrol stationed nearby opened fire to stop the clashes.

”The policeman said he shot in the air. It will be up to the investigators to establish that,” the source told Reuters.

The car was taken away for inspection by police and the parking lot outside the motorway restaurant was cordoned off, witnesses said.

Italy’s football league postponed Lazio’s match with champions Inter Milan, which had been due to kick off at 2pm GMT, after soccer officials held urgent talks with the government.

The rest of the top Serie A league programme, including a Juventus match at Parma, was rescheduled to start 10 minutes late, it said.

Scuffles between fans and police erupted at the stadium in the northern city of Bergamo as news of the death of the Lazio fan spread. Two policemen were slightly injured, local police said.

Italy is battling a serious soccer hooligan problem and suspended all soccer for a period in February when a policeman was killed in riots outside a top-flight match in Catania.

Italian Prime Minister Romano Prodi said he had been informed of the incident and told reporters: ”Certainly these events are very worrying.”

Sporadic violence has continued in recent months despite the security crackdown prompted by February’s incident.

Officials said last month that fan injuries caused by violence around stadiums had been cut by 80% from last season but that it was difficult to combat violence away from the grounds. – Reuters

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Matric results 2021 mapped: how did your school do?

Which schools and districts improved and which didn’t? Our complete guide to the 2021 matric results.

Sisulu launches ANC president bid, but ‘radical economic transformation’ faction...

The tourism minister will have to jockey with Nkosazana Dlamini-Zuma and Zweli Mkhize for a presidential nomination.

Sisulu rejects Ramaphosa’s ‘apology in her name’

In a public showdown with the president, the minister promptly distanced herself from his statement that said she apologised for her attacks on the judiciary

SANDF’s condemned-building mess

A 40-year-old army accommodation block housing 500 soldiers was ‘upgraded’ using residents’ recreational fund contributions. But it is dangerous: other high-risk residential flats in the area have been evacuated because of dolomite corrosion.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×