DRC peace deal faces hitch over massacre charges

A month-old peace accord in east Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC) faced a fresh hitch on Friday when Tutsi rebels halted participation in a ceasefire commission in protest at United Nations allegations they had massacred civilians.

The move announced by renegade Tutsi General Laurent Nkunda posed a potential threat to the January 23 ceasefire and peace pact signed by Nkunda’s rebels, Congolese President Joseph Kabila’s government and rival eastern militia groups.

The United Nations and Western governments brokered the deal in the hope of establishing a lasting peace in DRC’s turbulent east, where rebel and militia violence has persisted long after the formal end of a 1998 to 2003 war in the Central African state.

Nkunda was reacting to allegations by UN investigators that his Tutsi fighters killed at least 30 Hutu civilians last month while his rebel group negotiated the peace deal, which has already been strained by renewed skirmishes in the east.

”We are demanding these things be verified by a mixed investigation made up of the government, the UN and us,” Nkunda said by telephone.

Denying his rebel group was involved in the alleged massacre, Nkunda said: ”They are spreading rumours, and we cannot accept that this continues”.

Nkunda said that until an independent inquiry was launched, his representatives were suspending their participation in an ad-hoc commission tasked with sorting out technical aspects of the ceasefire and plotting the future course of the peace process.

But a rebel spokesperson said the move did not mean that Nkunda’s National Congress for the Defence of the People (CNDP) insurgent group was withdrawing definitively from the ceasefire and peace pact signed last month.

There was no immediate reaction to Nkunda’s statement from the UN Mission in DRC, which has 17 000 peacekeeping troops in the vast, mineral-rich former Belgian colony. — Reuters

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Seventeen people found dead in East London nightclub

At least 17 young people were found dead at a nightclub in a township in the southern city of East London on Sunday, police said

Gauteng ANC produces solid financials, feather in treasurer Parks Tau’s...

The provincial administration has, however, struggled to pay staff salaries

Rwanda refugees fear extradition from Mozambique

Mozambique and Rwanda’s new deal comes after 19 people ‘agreed’ to return home

Zandile Tshabalala exhibits for the first time in SA with...

Pandering to the art world is no longer a prerequisite for success. Zandile Tshabalala has proved this in the last two years by exhibiting abroad before coming home
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×