To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
26 Mar 2008 07:09
Three men who were arrested in connection with the killings of two foreign nationals in the Brazzaville informal settlement in Atteridgeville were expected to appear in court on Thursday, Pretoria police said on Wednesday.
Spokesperson Constable Patricia Simelane said the investigating officer was busy preparing a docket and the three would appear on murder and damage to property charges in Atteridgeville Magistrate’s Court.
“We have charged them with one murder so far—because we have no eye witnesses linking them to the second killing. We opened an inquest—for now—which is being investigated,” she said.
Two people were killed when a mob allegedly burnt their shacks down on Monday night, in two separate incidents.
“It is alleged that a large crowd went to a shack belonging to a Zimbabwean national at about midnight.”
“They allegedly beat him and burnt his shack whilst he was unconscious inside,” Simelane said.
She said the victim was found dead and his brother managed to escape the crowd.
A few metres away another person was found burnt beyond recognition in a shack, believed to be a tuck-shop owned by a Zimbabwean.
Create Account | Lost Your Password?