The death toll in a bus accident near the Lebombo border post has risen to 17, with 24 injuries reported, Komatipoort police said on Thursday.
Constable Richard Khumalo said seventeen bodies had been pulled from the wreckage and emergency services were still searching for more.
Of the 24 people taken to hospital, 14 have been discharged.
The bus burst a tyre, struck a tree, overturned and then began to burn at the Marloth Park turn-off near the Lebombo border post on Thursday at about 4am, Captain Klaas Maloka said.
Forty-three people managed to escape from the bus — of which 24 were taken to hospital, said Maloka.
Clive Hatch, Democratic Alliance (DA) roads and transport spokesperson, said the bus was transporting people from Krugersdorp to Maputo.
Hatch said the DA called on the authorities to launch a full inquiry into the accident to find out what went wrong.
”We will pursue the matter until we get to the bottom of it to prevent a re-occurrence of such a terrible tragedy.”
The DA appealed to all drivers to be extra diligent while behind the wheel, to drive at the correct speed and ensure that tyres were in good condition, said Hatch. — Sapa