The Ginwala inquiry has turned down a request for access to submissions on suspended National Director of Public Prosecutions Vusi Pikoli, the inquiry said on Wednesday.
”I have declined a request from Independent Newspapers that I make all submissions made to the inquiry available to them. As these documents were generated by the parties, they should themselves determine whether or not to make them public,” said a statement issued on behalf of inquiry leader Frene Ginwala.
Pikoli was suspended in September 2007 by President Thabo Mbeki on the grounds of an irretrievable breakdown in his working relationship with Minister of Justice and Constitutional Development Brigitte Mabandla. The inquiry was established and submissions have been received on the matter from the Justice Ministry and from Pikoli.
”I have previously indicated to the parties that should they decide to disseminate their submissions ‘they do so entirely of their own volition’ and that I would assume that they would ‘take into consideration issues relating to matters that may be sub judice …’,” the statement read.
She said the rules of the inquiry did not permit parties to place a blanket classification on an entire document. They were asked to identify and justify parts considered classified, and as a result almost all parts of the submissions were no longer classified.
Inquiry spokesperson Lawson Naidoo said that the public hearings are being planned tentatively for the first week of May.
A spokesperson for Independent Newspapers was not immediately available for comment. — Sapa