Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Water contamination cited in E Cape child deaths

Water contamination was a factor in the death of nearly 80 babies in the Eastern Cape, the provincial government said on Wednesday.

An interim report acknowledged that a ”multiplicity of causes”, including ”systematic failures affecting water quality”, were to blame for the deaths of the babies, said the provincial government in a statement.

Last week, reports emerged that 78 children from the Eastern Cape towns of Barkly East, Maclear, Sterkspruit and Elliot had died as a result of diarrhoea allegedly caused by contaminated water.

An official health report, tabled two weeks ago at a closed council meeting, indicated there had been a breakdown in a water-purification works in October last year.

Urgent action, including declaring an emergency in the area, was apparently recommended but not carried out.

The municipality said the Cloete Joubert Hospital in Barkly East failed to report the deaths in time for a proper investigation, but a senior hospital manager said the municipality did nothing until 15 deaths were reported.

On Wednesday, the provincial government said other socioeconomic factors were also to blame, including poverty, poor service delivery, environmental health and human resource ”challenges”.

For example, there had been inadequate intravenous fluids and antibiotics to deal with the babies who became ill.

People in the community also did not have enough health education.

The provincial government said the report was compiled based on investigations by the district municipality, the provincial and national departments of health and the Department of Water Affairs and Forestry.

A final report analysing all the causes of the baby deaths will be forwarded to the provincial minister of health and the premier.

Doctors, nurses, social workers and health promoters are working in the area to conduct awareness campaigns.

The municipality was working with Department of Water Affairs and Forestry and the Public Works Department to ensure chlorination of all water services that are subject to treatment. — Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Family wants clarity on SANDF soldier killed in friendly fire...

Corporal Simanga Khuselo join the peacekeeping mission in the DRC to save money to build his family a home

SA soldiers have been fighting in a distant land for...

Troops were sent to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2001 as part of the UN peacekeeping mission that became an offensive against rebels

More top stories

‘We are focused on the local government elections,’ ANC tells...

The organisation has sent another letter to staff members saying that salaries for July, August and September will not be paid on 25 September

Family wants clarity on SANDF soldier killed in friendly fire...

Corporal Simanga Khuselo join the peacekeeping mission in the DRC to save money to build his family a home

SA soldiers have been fighting in a distant land for...

Troops were sent to the Democratic Republic of the Congo in 2001 as part of the UN peacekeeping mission that became an offensive against rebels

UK red list will hit South African tourism hard

More than 430 000 British tourists visited South Africa in 2019 but this dropped by 97% last year because of Covid-19
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×