Xenophobic violence grips Johannesburg

Hundreds of frightened foreigners fled to the sanctity of the Jeppe police station in central Johannesburg on Sunday morning following a night of deadly xenophobic violence that claimed at least five lives and left about 50 people injured.

The atmosphere at the police station was tense, with helicopters circling overhead and large numbers of heavily armed police officers decked out in riot gear. City residents looked on from nearby rooftops as groups of refugees, many of them women and children, continued to arrive.

Smashed and vandalised vehicles had been brought into the police station’s courtyard.

Taxis were pulling up close to the station, playing loud music. Their passengers jumped out and waggled their behinds at those seeking safety, causing them to step back in fear.

Station commander Director Danie Louw said: “It [the violence in the area] started this morning when a large number of foreign nationals started coming to the police station to seek assistance. Women and children have been held in a separate shelter, but about 300 men are being kept in the back [an area behind the station.”


Much of the unrest had originated from Denver, George Goch and Wolhuter hostels, he said.

Police had earlier come under fire from a large crowd and retaliated by shooting rubber bullets. One person was arrested for being in possession of an unlicensed machine gun, and a further seven were detained for looting.

At the Jeppe station, a Mail & Guardian reporter overheard a police officer speaking into his radio: “Chief, they are running a war here.”

The South African Red Cross Society — which this week launched an emergency appeal for R1-million in support of victims of xenophobic attacks — was on the scene, as were representatives of the city council who refused to speak to the media.

Malawian national Mohammed Namgoma (23), who lives in Jeppestown not far from the police station, told the M&G that a mob had arrived at his residence on Saturday, armed with knives and other weapons.

“They broke into the house with stones. The stones were coming through the window. There were burglar bars near the top of the ceiling, so I pulled myself up so the stones would not hit me. I hung there for three hours,” he said, showing his blackened hands.

“They didn’t hurt me but other people’s heads are broken,” he said. “They stole my phone, blankets and money and they said the amakwerekwere [foreigners] must go home.”

Namgoma then went to the shop of his Ethiopian employer on the corner of Bree and Von Wielligh streets, where a mob later arrived and started stoning the store, causing him to flee once more. “It’s better to go home than to die,” he said.

Fleeing the mob

Nomsa Sibanda, of Bulawayo in Zimbabwe, has been employed in South Africa by a cleaning company since 1991.

She told the M&G that she had returned home on Sunday morning to the Radium Hotel in Jeppestown after working a night shift when she and other residents, among them Malawians, were warned that a mob was heading to the hotel. They could hear whistling and cheering from nearby hostels.

“We heard they wanted to chase us away and steal our things,” she said. “We ran to get to town. A guy felt so much pity for us running like that, he picked us up and gave us a lift to Fordsburg.”

Sibanda then went to the Jeppe police station to request an escort back to her home so she could collect her belongings. “Everything I own that is valuable is in that house,” she said.

She also said that not only foreigners were being targeted. “It’s Zulus doing this and doing it to their own people,” she said, adding that Pedis, Shangaans and other South Africans were told by mob members to “go home to Limpopo”.

Outside the Jeppe police station, a South African resident who identified herself as a Pedi told the M&G that a “mob of Zulus” came to her house in the area early on Sunday morning “and beat everyone up”. She was still looking for her brother. “I don’t know how this is going to end. They just take your things and they beat you up,” she said.

Said Sibanda: “They [the attackers] are not educated. They have only a little and they think we are here to take it away,” she said. “[Zimbabwean leader Robert] Mugabe will be so thrilled when he sees this … what should we do? We don’t have any place to run to.”

She added: “[The] 2010 [World Cup] is coming. Are people going to be safe? Visitors are also foreigners.”

Violence spreads

Overnight, said police spokesperson Captain Cheryl Engelbrecht, violence had started at about 1am. Foreigners, mainly Zimbabweans, were attacked at the Cleveland informal settlement.

“Two people were burnt and three people were beaten to death. Fifty others were taken to various hospitals for gunshot and stab wounds. About 300 people are seeking refuge at the Cleveland police station and more are coming in,” she said on Sunday morning.

According to police, several shops were vandalised and goods were stolen.

Cleveland is a suburb on the main railway line to the East Rand and beyond, and is situated near the crossing of the N3 highway to Durban and the busy M2 elevated freeway to the inner city.

The violent attacks on foreigners started in Alexandra and by Saturday had spread from Alexandra to Diepsloot, Thokoza and Tembisa.

About 300 foreigners had flocked to the Thokoza community hall on Saturday, seeking safety after attacks broke out in the East Rand township.

Seven people were arrested for public violence on Saturday in Thokoza, according to police spokesperson Captain Mega Ndobe.

He said two shacks had been burnt down and a number of people had been injured. At least 50 foreigners had sought refuge at the Thokoza police station.

In Tembisa, one man was shot and killed and two others were injured, also in xenophobic attacks.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Police Minister Bheke Cele addresses Jeppestown

Police minister Bheki Cele visited Jeppestown on Tuesday to speak to business owners and community leaders.

A family’s life: Only shattered glass and paper remain

Extreme xenophobic violence has left thousands of people in Johannesburg homeless, their houses demolished and burned. The <i>Mail & Guardian</i> speaks to a Congolese father who returns to his family home, which was plundered by an angry mob just more than a week ago.

Parties slam govt over xenophobic attacks

Opposition parties on Monday lambasted the government for its handling of xenophobic violence in parts of the country, and even called for the army to be deployed. Mobs roaming through poor townships around Johannesburg have killed and beaten up immigrants over the past week, with Zimbabweans and others reporting purges by armed locals.

Mob violence sweeps Gauteng

Another foreigner has been killed in South Africa as a wave of xenophobic violence spreads across Johannesburg, bringing the weekend death toll to 13, police said on Monday. The violence against foreigners, who are accused by many South Africans of depriving locals of jobs and committing crime, has spread across townships since the beginning of last week.

Mob violence turns Jo’burg CBD into war zone

"Downtown Johannesburg is a wasteland this Sunday. Marshall Street is criss-crossed with makeshift barricades of rusty barbed wire, tyres and chunks of concrete. In Main Street, shops have been literally disembowelled, their heavy-duty Jozi iron shutters wrenched off and their interiors cleaned out." <i>Mail & Guardian</i> reporters Nicole Johnston and Percy Zvomuya venture into the Johannesburg CBD.

Police on trail of Lucky Dube’s killers

Johannesburg police were on Friday looking for three men driving a blue Volkswagen Polo believed to have been involved in the murder of reggae star Lucky Dube (43). The musician was shot dead in a botched hijacking in Rosettenville at about 8.20pm on Thursday night, said a police spokesperson.
Advertising

Subscribers only

The shame of 40 000 missing education certificates

Graduates are being left in the lurch by a higher education department that is simply unable to deliver the crucial certificates proving their qualifications - in some cases dating back to 1992

The living nightmare of environmental activists who protest mine expansion

Last week Fikile Ntshangase was gunned down as activists fight mining company Tendele’s expansions. Community members tell the M&G about the ‘kill lists’ and the dread they live with every day

More top stories

Joe Biden’s debate guests run the only Zimbabwean restaurant in...

A Zimbabwean restaurant feeding people in need formed an unlikely addition to Joe Biden’s election campaign

The high road is in harm reduction

While the restriction of movement curtailed the health services for people who use drugs in some parts of the world, it propelled other countries into finding innovative ways to continue services, a new report reveals

Khaya Sithole: Tsakani Maluleke’s example – and challenge

Shattering the glass ceiling is not enough, the new auditor general must make ‘live’ audits the norm here in SA

State’s wage freeze sparks apoplexy

Public sector unions have cried foul over the government’s plan to freeze wages for three years and have vowed to fight back.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday