Govt: Victims of xenophobia won’t be deported

Foreigners who were affected by recent anti-immigrant violence in South Africa, which left tens of thousands displaced, will not be deported, the home affairs minister said on Friday.

”People affected by the violence and who have sought shelter in any of the centres will not be deported,” Nosiviwe Mapisa-Nqakula said in a statement to mark World Refugee Day.

”Where people have lost documents, the Department of Home Affairs will make arrangements to have them replaced as soon as possible,” she said.

Her comments, however, seemed to contradict earlier statements from a government spokesperson, who said the displaced being housed in camps were being identified, and those in South Africa illegally would eventually be deported.

Zimbabwean, Mozambicans, Malawians, Nigerians and other African nationals were attacked in a wave of anti-immigrant violence that erupted last month.

Sixty-two people were killed in the violence, while about 30 000 displaced people have been sheltered in camps set up by government.

At least 21 of those killed were South African, though officials have not provided an explanation for why they were targeted.

The worst of the violence was concentrated around Johannesburg, where foreigners have become targets of complaints by locals about high unemployment and crime levels.

The minister urged communities and organisations to protect South Africans and foreigners from violence.

”South Africa belongs to all who live in it,” she stated. — AFP

 

AFP

Keep the powerful accountable

Subscribe for R30/mth for the first three months. Cancel anytime.

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Sisulu accuses presidency of ‘deliberate mischief’

The minister’s open defiance has raised the stakes in a standoff that points to the looming power struggle President Cyril Ramaphosa faces

South Africa gets R11-bn booster shot from the World Bank...

As the country battles the pandemic, the World Bank loan will assist to boost the economy

Zondo says in Dutton’s death, South Africa lost one of...

The senior state capture investigator and member of the Investigating Directorate died a fortnight after Zondo released the first part of his state capture report

Mogoeng Mogoeng apology ruling upheld

The former chief justice must apologise over his controversial criticims of South African foreign policy on Israel within 10 days
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×