To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
12 Jan 2009 14:43
All 56 300 outstanding matric results have been finalised, Education Minister Naledi Pandor said on Monday.
In 33 448 cases the candidates, despite having registered, had not even written the matric exam, she said after a special meeting of the Council of Education Ministers in Kempton Park.
Another 700 candidates were still being investigated for exam irregularities, she said.
One of these cases involved 23 pupils.
The deadline for the investigation into irregularities is January 31.
Pupils found guilty will not be allowed to write the matric exam within the next two years.
Teachers or principals implicated could face criminal action, although Pandor was not at this stage aware of any who were suspected of involvement.
She said a further 25 000 results had been provided to candidates whose marks were not released along with those of the rest of the matrics on December 30.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?