Part of Mumbai plot ‘hatched in Pakistan’

The Mumbai attacks that killed 165 people last November were partly planned in Pakistan, a top-level Islamabad official admitted on Thursday for the first time.

New Delhi has blamed the bloody 60-hour siege on the banned Pakistan-based militant group Lashkar-e-Taiba (LeT), and handed over information last month that Islamabad has been using to investigate the attacks.

”The incident happened in India and part of the conspiracy was hatched in Pakistan,” Interior Ministry chief Rehman Malik told reporters.

It is the first time a senior official in Islamabad has admitted that any planning took place in Pakistan.

Pakistan has lodged a ”first information report” (FIR) with police and six people are in custody in connection with the attacks, Malik added.

The case was registered with a special investigation unit in Islamabad.

”This FIR has been launched. I want to show all of you, I want to show our nation, I want to show the international community, I want to show all those who have been a victim of terrorism, that we mean business,” he said.

But Malik also named other countries, where he said the plotters had made payment transfers or where equipment used in the attacks was registered.

For example, he said, $238 was transferred from Spain to acquire a domain name — used for communication over the internet — that was registered in Houston, Texas.

A Pakistani man who was living in Barcelona was repatriated and arrested in connection with the payment, Malik said.

Another domain name used by the attackers was registered in Russia, and a satellite phone registered in a Middle Eastern country, which he declined to name.

Malik said ”money was paid in Italy”, but it was not immediately clear how much he was referring to or what the money was used for.

Earlier this week, Pakistan said its investigators needed more information to complete its probe into the November 26 to 29 siege, when 10 gunmen attacked a series of high-profile targets in the Indian financial capital.

India then accused Islamabad of delaying its investigation.

The attacks have led to a sharp spike in tensions between the nuclear-armed neighbours, which have fought three wars since independence in 1947.

Last Thursday Indian Foreign Secretary Shivshankar Menon directly accused Pakistan’s powerful military spy agency, the Inter-Services Intelligence, of involvement in the attacks — a charge Islamabad vigorously denied.

Malik said further information Islamabad had requested from India included DNA samples of the gunmen — nine of whom were shot dead, and one a Pakistani who is currently in Indian custody — and their full names. — AFP

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Mkhwebane would not hear of Gupta links to Estina: witness

The suspended public protector told him she would pleased if the probe into the scam delivered no adverse findings, Reginald Ndou tells inquiry

Editorial: The ANC won’t listen to its own conscience, the...

The party’s top officials seem to have no real inclination to follow through with the integrity commission’s recommendations on corruption

Nxesi: The changing definition of work demands a review of...

The labour minister noted many informal workers had been excluded from the country’s Covid-19 relief scheme

Tazné van Wyk murder accused admits to absconding parole

Moyhdian Pangkaeker evaded the justice system for about four years during which time he twice absconded while on parole. He faces 27 charges, 24 of which he allegedly committed while on parole.
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×