Get more Mail & Guardian
Subscribe or Login

Parties scrap in KwaZulu-Natal

There was a heavy police presence in KwaZulu-Natal’s Nseleni area on Sunday to prevent clashes between ANC and IFP supporters, who are holding events in the same area.

By 10am, no incidents of violence had been reported to the police, said Captain Jay Naicker.

”We have deployed many police officers in the area to make sure that there is peace. They have been deployed in both venues,” he said.

Sporadic reports about election-linked violence emerged on Saturday.

Violence was reported in northern Kwazulu-Natal — in the Nseleni area — between the Inkatha Freedom Party and African National Congress.

This came after the Pietermaritzburg High Court on Saturday granted an interdict preventing the IFP from holding a rally near the ANC’s rally in the area on Sunday.

On Saturday, the Inkatha Freedom Party’s national organiser Albert Mncwango said its councillor Simon Mhlongo’s house was shot at and petrol-bombed by ANC members.

”Our member’s house was attacked this afternoon by elements in the ANC in ANC T-shirts, waving ANC flags and driving in cars … with ANC paraphernalia.

”They threw petrol bombs.”

”Our members are being subjected to intimidation. ANC members are misconstruing the court order that IFP members must be evicted from Nseleni today so when tomorrow comes [there will be] no IFP”.

Mncwango said the IFP would submit ”comprehensive documents” to the Independent Electoral Commission on Monday in order to respond to ANC allegations about the party.

Meanwhile, ANC provincial secretary Senzo Mchunu said on Saturday that allegations that an IFP councillor had been petrol-bombed were false.

”Nobody has been petrol bombed. It’s a bomb of a lie.”

Mchuni said instead he had heard reports that four cars carrying ANC members busy with ”mobilisation”, had been attacked in the area.

”Some stones were thrown into their four cars. It was the fourth car that had been attacked, once it was realised it was being driven by an ANC comrade.”

He said the person in the car was an administrator at a regional office, who was not injured but had reported the incident to the police.

Mchunu said the ANC would definitely be reporting the matter to the IEC on Monday.

However, the IFP’S Mncwango dismissed the ANC allegations that cars carrying ANC personnel had been stoned in the area.

”They are talking rubbish. How would you identify an IFP car from an ANC car?,” he said.

Also on Saturday, the office of the provincial minister for Agriculture and Environmental Affairs, Mtholephi Mthimkhulu, said in a statement that IFP members had disrupted an event being held on Saturday at
Ntabamhlophe in Loskop.

The minister said Silibaziso Jiyane, the Mbabazana municipality’s speaker, had arrived with ”heavily-armed people wearing clothes branded with IFP logos and tried to force entry into the marquee where about 10 000 people were gathered”.

He said Jiyane and an IFP-branded motorcade had earlier tried to intimidate people trying to make their way to the event.

Mthimkhulu said the disruption of government business was ”tantamount to treason”.

”That KZN is led by the ANC government is a known fact but when government leaders, like Mthimkhulu — do their work, they do so without asking for membership cards of any political party. This is because, like everyone else, members of the IFP cannot cook their membership cards when they need food.”

The IFP’s Mncwango said that he had heard about the Loskop incident but that it was not IFP members who had been involved but members of the community.

”They invited the community of Loskop.”

He said at the event some ANC manifestos were allegedly being distributed and some people objected to this.

”It was a government function and therefore the minister must not propogate election manifestos”.

Kwazulu-Natal police spokesperson Senior Superintendent Jay Naicker confirmed there had been some incidents reported in Nseleni on Saturday.

”I can confirm there was some tension between the IFP and the ANC in Nseleni.”

He said a woman had opened an attempted murder case and one of malicious damage to property.

”The person alleges she was shot at and there is an allegation that a vehicle was stoned.” – Sapa

Subscribe for R500/year

Thanks for enjoying the Mail & Guardian, we’re proud of our 36 year history, throughout which we have delivered to readers the most important, unbiased stories in South Africa. Good journalism costs, though, and right from our very first edition we’ve relied on reader subscriptions to protect our independence.

Digital subscribers get access to all of our award-winning journalism, including premium features, as well as exclusive events, newsletters, webinars and the cryptic crossword. Click here to find out how to join them and get a 57% discount in your first year.

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

If you’re reading this, you clearly have great taste

If you haven’t already, you can subscribe to the Mail & Guardian for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, and get more great reads.

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Subscribers only

Hawkish Reserve Bank sees South Africa edge towards a rates...

Analysts say the Reserve Bank could start tightening monetary policy as early as next month

Coko vs S ruling: The case against a subjective test...

Acting judge Tembeka Ngcukaitobi’s acquittal of a rape suspect has raised controversy, but legal experts say the fault lay with legislators and not the court

More top stories

Almost 7 000 children receive Pfizer shot on first day...

More than 39 000 young people had registered on the government’s database by 4pm on Wednesday

Police murder trial: 189 metal pellets killed Nathaniel ‘Lokkies’ Julies

At least 65% of the pellets in the cartridge hit the 16-year-old when he was gunned down in Eldorado Park, Johannesburg, allegedly by in-training constable, Caylene Whiteboy

Hawkish Reserve Bank sees South Africa edge towards a rates...

Analysts say the Reserve Bank could start tightening monetary policy as early as next month

Lucas Radebe: ‘My football career began behind my parents’ back’

Soccer legend Lucas ‘Rhoo’ Radebe is a busy man, but he made time in his hectic schedule to speak to Ntombizodwa Makhoba about his fondest childhood memories, how his soccer career began, and, as a father of eight, his legacy
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×