Qunta resigns from SABC board

Controversial SABC board deputy chairperson Christine Qunta has resigned, the broadcaster said on Wednesday.

“The SABC has received a resignation letter from Ms Christine Qunta,” the SABC said in a statement.

She resigned from her positions of director, deputy chairperson and all other structures at the SABC.

Qunta’s resignation would be effective from April 1. No reasons were provided for her resignation.

SABC spokesperson Kaizer Kganyago said Qunta’s resignation had been sent to the shareholder and the process would “unfold” from there.

Qunta is the second SABC board member to resign in the past month, with another board member, Peter Vundla, having tendered his resignation about two weeks ago.

African National Congress (ANC) spokesperson Jessie Duarte said it would be better if board members who had resigned were replaced after the election.

“Special care” should be given to ensure the board was more representative.

“It would make more sense ... it does require the input of Parliament,” she said.

The Democratic Alliance said Qunta resignation took away the ANC’s reason to call the current SABC board an “Mbeki board” as she was openly aligned to the former president during his term in office.

“The current board is not a Mbeki board.
Three-quarters of the dozen board members were chosen by MPs from all represented political parties,” said spokeswoman Dene Smuts.

Media revelations of corruption at the SABC originated from the term of office of the previous SABC board with the current board “trying to clean up the mess”, she said.—Sapa

Client Media Releases

Humanities lecturer wins Young Linguist Award
MICROmega Holdings transforms into Sebata Holdings
Is your organisation ready for the cloud (r)evolution?
ContinuitySA wins IRMSA Award
Three NHBRC offices experience connectivity issues