‘Australia’s Fritzl’ charged with raping daughter for 30 years

An Australian man raped his daughter almost daily for 30 years and fathered her four children in a case that echoes the notorious incest crimes of Josef Fritzl in Austria, a report said on Thursday.

The man, now aged in his 60s, began abusing his daughter in the 1970s when she was 11 and continued for three decades even after authorities received warnings about his behaviour, Melbourne’s Herald Sun newspaper said.

The newspaper said the man’s wife denied any knowledge of the alleged abuse, saying police decided to prosecute after receiving DNA evidence that the man was the father of his daughter’s children.

Local media likened the alleged crimes to those committed by Fritzl, who was jailed for life in May for imprisoning and raping his daughter for 24 years and murdering one of the seven children he had with her.

Victorian police would not immediately comment on the details of the case, citing a court suppression order on the identity of the family, issued in August.

The state’s Community Service Minister Lisa Neville described the allegations as ”appalling”.

”I don’t know what, or if any, involvement the police, the department or other agencies have had over the last 30 years,” she told public broadcaster ABC.

”This is a case that’s gone on for 30 years. Obviously this will be a priority to look into.”

State Premier John Brumby said he would investigate how the case had gone unnoticed for so long.

”I haven’t had a report on the case but I can only say, speaking in very general terms, these are the worst, worst possible cases and obviously the full force of the law will be applied,” he said.

The Herald Sun said all the victim’s four children were born with birth defects in major Melbourne hospitals. One of them later died.

It said the woman reported the abuse to police in 2005 but then refused to cooperate further because she feared for her safety.

However, she went to police again in June last year and gave a statement against her father, the newspaper said. Police conducted DNA tests on the father and laid 83 charges of sex abuse against him in February.

Melbourne’s The Age newspaper said the charges had since been reduced to 13, including five of incest, five of rape and two of indecently assaulting a girl under 16. It said he would appear in court in November.

The woman and her three surviving children were being held in a safe house with authorities, state radio said.– AFP, Reuters

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Links between colleges, industry vital

Weak partnerships with industry and poor curriculum choices are among the factors driving unemployment among graduates

‘South Africa on a path to unjust transition’

The country needs a greener economy but energy specialists say policymakers must ensure the creation of a fairer economy in the process

Whistleblower helps SIU in diamonds corruption raid

The SIU alleges fraud and graft in state mining company's procurement

SA Mint launches rhino coin

The coins are produced in limited quantities ranging from 500 to 2 000, depending on the demand
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×