To enjoy the full Mail & Guardian online experience: please upgrade your browser
30 Sep 2009 12:58
Eskom’s request for an extension of the deadline for its tariff submission to the National Energy Regulator of South Africa (Nersa) has been denied.
In answer to emailed questions from Sapa on Wednesday, Nersa said it was expecting Eskom’s tariff submission later on Wednesday.
Nersa added that Wednesday was definitely the deadline for the submission.
“Eskom did request an extension, but it was not granted,” the regulator confirmed.
Nersa denied that it was doing the electricity parastatal’s work for it by communicating on its website in advance that it saw electricity tariffs rising by no less than 30%.
Nersa recently granted Eskom a 31,3% tariff hike.
Eskom’s spokesperson Andrew Etzinger told Sapa that the submission had been completed and complied with the filing regulations of Nersa.
He also confirmed that the document would be sent to the regulator on Wednesday.
“I can’t say exactly when ... it’s a matter of pressing the send button,” he added.
Etzinger said the tariff submission would also be sent to the National Treasury as well as to the South African Local Government Association.—Sapa
Create Account | Lost Your Password?