Ponzi-scheme suspect Tannenbaum faces arrest

Arrest warrants for the masterminds of a Ponzi scheme that led to wealthy South Africans being swindled out of billions of rands have been issued by the police, Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan announced in Parliament on Tuesday.

Speaking during his medium-term budget speech, Gordhan deviated from his prepared statement to announce that the pair of lawyer Dean Rees and businessman Barry Tannenbaum would be arrested soon.

The pair has been identified as the alleged brains behind an elaborate fraudulent scheme involving billions of rands that led to the likes of former Pick n Pay chief executive Sean Summers losing millions of rands.

A joint task team consisting of the police, the National Prosecuting Authority (NPA) and the South African Revenue Service (SARS) was subsequently formed to investigate the scheme.

Spokesperson for the elite crime-fighting Hawks unit Musa Zondi confirmed to the Mail & Guardian that the two will soon be facing the music.


Gordhan also announced that R78-million would be made available to the Department of Police in order to train more than 22 000 police officers in order to “strengthen detective services and crime intelligence”.

Institute of Security Studies crime researcher Johan Burger said part of this number of police personnel is to bolster the dearth of specialised policemen in the detective services as identified by the Criminal Justice Review spearheaded by former justice minister Johnny De Lange last year.

He added that the increase from just under R50-billion to the proposed R78-billion could be attributed to the country’s hosting of the World Cup next year.

Gordhan said the allocation to police would increase to more than R100-million by 2012.

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Come what may, the UIF will pay

The fund – the main safety net for unemployed workers – will run at an almost R20-billion deficit

‘Terrorised’ family shines a light on traditional leadership for vulnerable...

The ambiguity between traditional and constitutional leadership has been exposed by the violent banishment of an Eastern Cape family

More top stories

High court grants Dlamini-Zuma leave to appeal adverse ruling on...

The court held that the ongoing state of disaster meant there was public interest in the legal test applied to measures taken to contain the pandemic

Concourt to hear Zondo commission’s application for contempt order against...

The former president has one week to file answering papers in the application that also seeks a prison sentence imposed on him

Koko maintains he had no idea he was exchanging emails...

On his fourth appearance before the commission, the former Eskom CEO maintains he was tricked into sharing company information with a third party

Zuma foundation claims ex-president was prepared to testify, but Zondo...

Zuma’s namesake organisation twists facts and the law – he told Zondo he would answer questions but only in private to the deputy chief justice
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…