SABC’s R1bn football deal fiasco

With the SABC drowning in debt, the corporation’s interim board is desperately trying to renegotiate a billion-rand deal signed for the TV rights to all games of the Confederation of African Football (CAF) in the next eight years.

It remains unclear what CAF games are at issue. The existence of the contract was revealed by interim board member Leslie Sedibe at a hearing of Parliament’s communications committee on Tuesday. However, the Mail & Guardian is the first to disclose its precise nature.

The contract price paid was allegedly not authorised by the former SABC board. It was signed by Mvuzo Mbebe, the group executive for content enterprises, who was recently suspended by the interim board.

Mbebe signed the contract at the end of last year and allegedly agreed to a guarantee exceeding R500-million. It was signed at a time of mounting SABC debt and when senior executives had been briefed twice about the financial crisis at the public broadcaster.

Telling Parliament that the interim board had uncovered the billion-rand contract this week, Sedibe described it as “shocking”.


“It’s a sports contract that we are investigating,” he told journalists, who swamped him after he had dropped what he described as a “bombshell”. “We would have preferred to pay a lesser price.” He declined to name the contract, saying negotiations were under way.

SABC sources said the corporation’s chief financial officer, Robin Nicholson, had repudiated the deal. Nicholson has also been suspended.

Mbebe and Nicholson flew to Paris in February this year to renegotiate the contract, signed with SportFive, CAF’s agents. It is understood that the guarantee was dropped and the terms of payment renegotiated.

Mbebe could not be reached for comment, but after the announcement in Parliament he is understood to have slapped a court order on the SABC, demanding copies of all sports rights records dating back to 2004.

SABC sources said the contract had been red-flagged by the corporation’s finance department and was shown to the interim board when it took over. “This contract was never hidden,” said a source. “Some people just like grandstanding.”

Interim board chairperson Irene Charnley told Parliament the SABC’s losses now stood at R910-million and had escalated by R120-million in the past two months. The SABC was expected to start turning a profit by 2012, she said.

The SABC had been given an extension to submit its annual report because the R1,4-billion guarantee it had requested from the treasury had not been finalised, said Charnley. The guarantee would en-able the public broadcaster to borrow money, but SABC sources said the guarantee requested had now risen to R1,8-billion.

While the government was expected to offer a short-term bail-out, a letter sent last week by Finance Minister Pravin Gordhan to Communications Minister Siphiwe Nyanda highlighted his concern. The M&G has learned that Gordhan’s letter stated that while there was a willingness to support the SABC it had to resolve its own financial shortfalls.

Charnley told Parliament that the stopgap R200-million the SABC is to receive from the government’s medium-term budget will be spent on paying some of its debt to local producers.

Meanwhile, Nyanda’s controversial draft Bill, which could see taxpayers forking out to fund the SABC, caught even acting SABC chief executive Gab Mampone by surprise. Last week Nyanda gazetted the Public Service Broadcasting Bill, which proposes as one solution to the funding crisis the abolition of licence fees and the introduction of a 1% levy.

Mampone said the draft Bill was unexpected. “I thought it would go through other processes and became a White Paper,” he told the M&G.

Reacting to the DA’s accusations that Nyanda wanted to turn the SABC into a “state mouthpiece”, the minister’s spokesperson, Tiyani Rikhotso, said: “For what good reason — would the minister seek to amass unnecessary and unconstitutional authority over the public broadcaster? The minister understands the importance of independent media that serve as a watchdog for the public and would never seek to undermine this principle.”

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

The media is dead, long live the king

The state of King Mswati’s health is just one of many contentious issues that cannot be reported on in eSwatini

Fees free fall, independent schools close

Parents have lost their jobs or had salaries cut; without state help the schools just can’t survive

Special Investigating Unit probes Covid-19 tenderpreneurs

The SIU is investigating 102 companies doing business with the provincial government in Gauteng alone

The Audi TT’s last dance

With its breed quickly becoming extinct, the Audi TT is as close as you’re going to get to a bad boy. This flashy player has one last run in the team before they are replaced by a new practical, statistical-friendly crop.

Businesses should use alternative energy sources, industry bodies advise

Business associations are urging companies to continue seeking alternative energy sources in light of Eskom’s court judgement which would allow the utility to bump up electricity prices up to 15% from next year April 2021.
Advertising

Sekhukhune’s five-year battle for water back in court

The residents of five villages are calling for the district municipal manager to be arrested

Fees free fall, independent schools close

Parents have lost their jobs or had salaries cut; without state help the schools just can’t survive

Vaccine trial results due in December

If successful, it will then have to be manufactured and distributed

White men still rule and earn more

Women and black people occupy only a few seats at the JSE table, the latest PwC report has found
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday