Raikkonen to take F1 break

Outgoing Ferrari star Kimi Raikkonen will take next season off from Formula One as he could not get a deal with McLaren his manager Steve Robertson was quoted as saying in the Finnish media.

”The choices in Formula One for the next season were McLaren or nothing. Kimi and McLaren could not reach an agreement so he will not drive on Formula One level for at least next season,” Robertson said in an interview with the Turun Sanomat newspaper.

He said they were not negotiating with other Formula One teams and added that the 29-year-old Finn will now concentrate on other areas and could be compete in some rally next season.

Robertson did not rule out Raikkonen returning to Formula One after a year off if a suitable team was found.

”Kimi is still full of the will to drive. A gap year will not mean anything in that respect. It means more that we can find a place for Kimi where he can compete to win and [compete] for the world championship,” he said.

Ferrari decided to part company with Raikkonen in September and Fernando Alonso will take his position.

But Robertson insisted that Raikkonen, who won the world championship for Ferrari in 2007, remained one of the best drivers in the world. — AFP

 

AFP

We make it make sense

If this story helped you navigate your world, subscribe to the M&G today for just R30 for the first three months

Subscribers get access to all our best journalism, subscriber-only newsletters, events and a weekly cryptic crossword.”

Related stories

WELCOME TO YOUR M&G

Already a subscriber? Sign in here

Advertising

Latest stories

Spaza shops take centre stage in township economy

Consumers living in such areas are spending more at spazas than big retailers, according to a report

PODCAST| Monkeypox: How it spreads, when to test and why...

The smallpox vaccine provides 85% protection against infection with monkeypox, but South Africa stopped vaccinating people against smallpox in 1980

Nike x Jacquemus collab: What to expect

The Nike x Jacquemus collaboration drops on Tuesday 28 June online. So far, no ludicrously tiny handbags in sight, but luxurious feminine twists on activewear that make this the collection you didn’t know you needed

Test cricket is dead, but not for the eager Proteas

Even before the demise of this format of the game was predicted, the women’s team had little opportunity to experience and enjoy it
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…
×