Israel outraged over Auschwitz theft

The head of Jerusalem’s Holocaust memorial condemned on Friday as a “declaration of war” the theft of the “Arbeit macht frei” sign from the Auschwitz Nazi death camp in Poland.

“This act constitutes a true declaration of war. We don’t know the identity of the perpetrators but I assume they are neo-Nazis,” Avner Shalev said in a statement.

“These people want to bring Europe back 70 years to the dark years of death and destruction,” he added.

“I am certain the Polish government will do everything possible to track down those criminals and put them on trial,” he said, urging “the enlightened world to work together against anti-Semitism and racism in all its forms”.

Foreign Ministry spokesperson Ygal Palmor called the theft “the act of a deranged person”.


An Israeli minister, for his part, branded the theft “an abominable act that amounts to profanation”.

“This act demonstrates once again hatred and violence against Jews,” said Regional Development Minister Silvan Shalom, who is one of Israel’s two vice-prime ministers.

In Poland, museum staff and police said thieves had stolen the infamous “Arbeit macht frei” (Work will set you free) gate sign from Nazi Germany’s World War II death camp earlier on Friday.

The theft of the metal sign — which was forged by prisoners on Nazi orders, and was one of the most sinister examples of their propaganda — sent shockwaves across Poland. — AFP

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertising

Ramaphosa asks all South Africans to help to avoid 50...

Calling this ‘the gravest crisis in the history of our democracy’, the president said level three lockdown remains, but enforcement will be strengthened

Reinstated Ingonyama Trust managers hit with retrenchment notices

The effect of Covid-19 and the land reform department’s freeze of R23-million because the ITB didn’t comply with budget submissions are cited as some of the reasons for the staff cuts
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday