Bad boy Harrison in Brumbies leadership role

Former Wallabies lock Justin Harrison was selected in the ACT Brumbies leadership group on Monday, just five days after completing an eight-month doping ban.

Harrison, who has returned to the Brumbies for the 2010 Super 14 season after more than six years away, was suspended after admitting to taking cocaine during his stint with English club Bath.

The 34-test veteran also admitted to shouting out “class A, it’s OK, everyone’s doing it” on the microphone of a bus heading to a party in London last year.

Harrison joins fellow returning Brumby Matt Giteau on the ACT leadership group of senior players, along with forwards Stephen Moore, Mitchell Chapman and 2009 captain Stephen Hoiles.

Harrison was also suspended for three weeks in 2005 after admitting he made a racial slur against South African Chumani Booi.


“I’ve made mistakes during my career, but the next 12 months is a chance for me to rectify my professional reputation,” Harrison said when he re-signed with the Brumbies in November.

At the time, Brumbies CEO Andrew Fagan described Harrison as “one of the great characters of world rugby” and said he remained one of the “club’s favourite sons.”

“His mistakes over time have been well documented, but he’s always faced up to them, taken responsibility for them and accepted the consequences,” Fagan said.

Australia fly half Giteau, who spent most of the last three years as the playmaker for the Perth-based Western Force, will compete with emerging players Matt Toomua and Christian Lealiifano for the Brumbies’ No. 10 jersey.

“I’m happy to play fly half, inside centre, fullback, wherever the team needs me,” Giteau said. “But whichever position I’m chosen [in] I’d like to stick there for the whole season, depending on form.” — Sapa-AP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

2019: The ones who left us

From Uyinene Mrwetyana, Oliver Mtukudzi to Xolani Gwala, Mail & Guardian remembers those who have passed on

More battles ahead for domestic worker unions

Florence Sosiba, speaks to the Mail & Guardian about how important domestic workers are and exclusion in the COIDA

“Life has been good to me, considering where I come from” – Xolani Gwala

Just over a year ago, veteran radio presenter Xolani Gwala’s cancer was in remission. He spoke to the Mail & Guardian once he was back on air.

Kanya Cekeshe’s lawyer appeals decision not to grant him bail to the high court

Kanya Cekeshe’s legal team filed an urgent appeal at the Johannesburg high court on Tuesday against Monday’s judgment by magistrate Theunis Carstens.

Leader’s principal aim to build IFP

Gravitas: Velenkosini Hlabisa brings his experience to his new post as leader of the Inkatha Freedom Party.

Police Minister Bheke Cele addresses Jeppestown

Police minister Bheki Cele visited Jeppestown on Tuesday to speak to business owners and community leaders.
Advertising

The PPE scandal that the Treasury hasn’t touched

Many government officials have been talking tough about dealing with rampant corruption in PPE procurement but the majority won't even release names of who has benefited from the R10-billion spend

ANC still at odds over how to tackle leaders facing...

The ANC’s top six has been mandated to work closely with its integrity committee to tackle claims of corruption against senior party members
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday