Davydenko heralds ‘new era’ in men’s tennis

Russian dark horse Nikolay Davydenko has heralded a new era in men’s tennis, saying much-improved depth meant the Grand Slam dominance of Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal was over.

From the 2005 French Open through to last year’s Wimbledon, the Swiss and the Spaniard virtually monopolised Grand Slam titles, winning 17 of the 18 events with the only aberration Novak Djokovic’s win here in 2008.

The top two men in the world have also met each other in eight Grand Slam finals since 2005.

However, Spain’s Juan Martin Del Potro broke through in last year’s US Open and Davydenko said the face of men’s tennis was finally changing.

He pointed to Robin Soderling’s appearance in the final of the French Open and American Andy Roddick reaching the decider at Wimbledon, while Scotland’s Andy Murray was a finalist at the US Open.

“It’s always talk about Federer, Nadal, Federer, Nadal,” he said Tuesday after breezing through his first round match at the Australian Open.

“But who knows now?

“If you see Wimbledon it was Roddick, Del Potro was US Open. The game is changing now. The top 10 guys are pretty hard [to play].

“You see Soderling was in the final of Paris, it’s not always Federer and Nadal in finals.

“It’s starting to change in tennis. It’s not only Nadal and Federer anymore.”

The comments by Davydenko, who is yet to reach a Grand Slam final but is looming as a real contender in Melbourne on the back of some impeccable early season form, echoed similar sentiments from Djokovic earlier this week.

The world number three said he felt he had closed the gap on Federer and Nadal in recent times, since aligning with new coach Todd Martin.

“The last five, six years the dominance was obvious from Federer, Nadal,” he said.

“They’ve been winning all the Grand Slams they’ve played. But now, in the last two years or so, the things are changing a little bit.

“It’s good for the sport and it’s good for us, the group of the players that is trying to catch up with Federer and Nadal. We have more belief that we can win a Grand Slam.” — AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Test backlog skews SA’s corona stats

With thousands of samples still waiting to be processed, labs are racing to ramp up testing to help the government gain a better idea of how prevalent Covid-19 really is

M&G’s latest Covid-19 projections

Covid-19 numbers are prompting disaster declarations and dramatic action across South Africa this week. All steps should be directed by numbers

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories