Saracens coach Venter awaits his fate

Saracens coach Brendan Venter was left waiting to find out what punishment he would receive from the Rugby Football Union (RFU) after a disciplinary panel reserved its judgement until Wednesday.

The former Springbok centre appeared before a hearing in London on Tuesday charged with “conduct prejudicial to the interests of the game” after criticising referee David Rose following Saracens’ 22-15 English Premiership defeat by Leicester at Welford Road on January 2.

Venter is accused of questioning Rose’s integrity by saying the official had been a different referee in the second half.

The South African’s remarks received wide publicity, partly because he broadened his comments to slam the standard of officiating in the Premiership in general, which he blamed for a lack of tries this season.

Venter said: “There is a problem and that is the game is determined by referees and not by teams.”

Some said Venter’s remarks would have had more force if they had not been made on the back of a defeat.

But he also won backing for drawing attention to the confusion surrounding what players can and cannot do at the breakdown area.

After the Leicester match, Venter said: “The penalty count in the first half was 9-3 to Sarries. The penalty count in the second half was 10-4 to Leicester.

“We asked the referee to keep everything the same in the second half. Something happened to this poor referee and there was basically a 12-penalty swing.

“There was one referee in the first half, he walked through a maze or something, and he came out another referee.

“This is a professional game and this is a problem. I don’t think referees are dishonest, we just do not have the ability to stay objective.”

Venter has been charged specifically due to comments he made during the course of a BBC radio interview, in which he said: “I think the referee was influenced at half-time, and that’s all I can think.

“All I know is something happened at half-time, the game changed.”

Venter faces a heavy fine and a touchline ban if the charges against him are upheld. — AFP

PW Botha wagged his finger and banned us in 1988 but we stood firm. We built a reputation for fearless journalism, then, and now. Through these last 35 years, the Mail & Guardian has always been on the right side of history.

These days, we are on the trail of the merry band of corporates and politicians robbing South Africa of its own potential.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

South Africa has been junked

Treasury says the credit ratings downgrade “could not have come at a worse time”, as country enters a 21-day Covid-19 lockdown with little money saved up

Mail & Guardian needs your help

Our job is to help give you the information we all need to participate in building this country, while holding those in power to account. But now the power to help us keep doing that is in your hands

Press Releases

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world

SAB Zenzele special AGM rescheduled to March 25 2020

New voting arrangements are being made to safeguard the health of shareholders

Dimension Data launches Saturday School in PE

The Gauteng Saturday School has produced a number of success stories