Zuma dismisses fears over World Cup security

President Jacob Zuma on Wednesday dismissed fears of any attack at the Soccer World Cup later this year, promising South Africa would host a safe competition that would leave a legacy of economic development.

Gunmen attacked Togo’s soccer squad at the Africa Cup of Nations earlier this month, killing two members of the delegation and raising questions in some quarters over security at the world’s biggest single-sport event in South Africa in June and July.

But Zuma said it would be wrong to compare security in his country with Angola, which he said had “just emerged from war” and was four hours’ flight time from South Africa.

“South Africa has a clear plan in terms of security,” Zuma told delegates at the World Economic Forum in the Swiss ski resort of Davos. “Our police force, aided by the army and other security elements, are very clear and ready.

“Nothing will happen.”


South Africa does not suffer from political violence like Angola’s Cabinda enclave, where separatists who have fought a low-level war for three decades opened fire on the Togolese team bus.

However, crime is a major concern for the World Cup hosts.

The security budget has not been made public, but 52 000 police officers will be on duty for the month-long World Cup, which begins on June 11. At least R13-billion has been spent on new stadiums and infrastructure.

Zuma said the competition would showcase South Africa as a trade, business and tourism destination, and that infrastructure projects ahead of the World Cup had boosted the economy.

The experience of preparing the country to host the competition also left it well-placed to continue “a very huge programme of infrastructure development for the next five years”, Zuma said. — Reuters

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Institutions of higher learning should commemorate their casualties

The bust of Matikweni Nkuna at Tshwane University of Technology is an example of how we should honour those who fought for equal access to education

Seals abort pups in mass die-off

There are a number of factors — a pollutant, virus or bacteria or malnutrition — that may have caused the 12 000 deaths on Namibia’s coast.

Deconstructing South Africa’s construction industry performance

The construction industry has contracted sharply, partly due to Covid, and needs to rebalance its focus if it wants to survive

Editorial: SA will be bankrupted by looters

The chickens have finally come home to roost: if we do not end the looting, it will end us

What is the noise about Ace?

The Hawks have distanced themselves from a news report that the ANC’s secretary general Ace Magashule has been issued with a warrant of arrest

Zuma vs Ramaphosa? Neither is the leader South Africans deserve

Neither statesman could command sufficient authority in an ANC that remains mired in corruption and infighting and at the behest of big capital
Advertising

Subscribers only

Toxic power struggle hits public works

With infighting and allegations of corruption and poor planning, the department’s top management looks like a scene from ‘Survivor’

Free State branches gun for Ace

Parts of the provincial ANC will target their former premier, Magashule, and the Free State PEC in a rolling mass action campaign

More top stories

Baby Awa: The miracle baby born on a boat fleeing...

More than 300 000 people in the north of the country have been displaced by militants who ransack villages and then burn them down.

Five suspects arrested in Senzo Meyiwa case

Police minister Bheki Cela announced on Monday that his team has arrested five suspects who were allegedly involved in the killing of former Bafana Bafana captain Senzo Meyiwa.

EFF eyes municipalities ahead of 2021 local government elections

EFF leader Julius Malema says the party is preparing to govern in many municipalities from next year. It is also launching a programme to defend the rights of farm workers

WSU suspends classes and exams to avoid the spread of...

The university says it has to take the precautionary measures because 26 students have tested positive on its East London campus
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…

The best local and international journalism

handpicked and in your inbox every weekday