Togo to fight Afcon ban

Togo plans to fight its suspension from the next two editions of the African Cup of Nations after its national football team withdrew from last month’s tournament following a deadly attack on its bus.

Government spokesperson Pascal Bodjona described the Confederation of African Football (CAF) ruling as “insulting”, adding that “Togo will use all available legal means to fight the decision.”

He did not specify what steps Togolese officials would take. Togo pulled out of the African Cup after its team bus was attacked by gunmen in Angola and an assistant coach and spokesperson were killed on January 8, two days before the start of the tournament.

A separatist group has claimed responsibility for the attack. Togo team officials had at the time asked CAF to allow the players to return home for three days of mourning before entering the tournament at a later date. The request was denied.

CAF announced the ban on Saturday, leading Togo captain Emmanuel Adebayor to call for CAF president Issa Hayatou to quit.


“Mr. Hayatou has done much for Africa but now he must clear off. This decision is monstrous,” Adebayor said. “They’re laughing in
everybody’s face. [Togo President Faure Gnassingbe] sent us to the [African Cup of Nations] to defend the colors of our nation. He judged that the threat to our team had not been removed and called us back to the country. We are only ambassadors. We had to go back.”

However, Bodjona said Sunday that it was the players who had asked to return to Togo.

“It was a case of an armed attack and our players requested to be sent home,” he said. “The Togo government therefore obliged.”

Hans Mastro, a sports journalist on Togo national radio and TV, said the ban was an inexplicable further assault on the team.

“The CAF decision is like opening fire on an ambulance,” Mastro said. “First they hang a sword on Togo like an albatross, now they decapitate or behead our football with a four-year ban.” — Sapa-AP

Subscribe to the M&G

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

Related stories

Advertising

Subscribers only

Pandemic hobbles learners’ futures

South African schools have yet to open for the 2021 academic year and experts are sounding the alarm over lost learning time, especially in the crucial grades one and 12

Q&A Sessions: George Euvrard, the brains behind our cryptic crossword

George Euvrard spoke to Athandiwe Saba about his passion for education, clues on how to solve his crosswords and the importance of celebrating South Africa.

More top stories

Inside George Mukhari hospital’s second wave

The Bhekisisa Centre for Health Journalism and James Oatway visited George Mukhari academic hospital to document the second-wave realities experienced by doctors and nurses

Power shift at Luthuli House

Ace Magashule’s move to distance himself from Carl Niehaus signals a rebalancing of influence and authority at the top of the ANC

Trump slinks off world stage, leaving others to put out...

What his supporters and assorted right-wingers will do now in a climate that is less friendly to them is anyone’s guess

The US once again has something  Africa wants: competent leaders

Africa must use its best minds to negotiate a mutually beneficial economic relationship
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…