Heidfeld joins up with Mercedes

Nick Heidfeld joined the Mercedes Formula One team as test and reserve driver on Thursday, completing a trio of Germans in a line-up led by Michael Schumacher and Nico Rosberg.

“Whilst I would of course have preferred a seat as an active driver, I am really proud to be part of the new Silver Arrows team. I have seen how committed everyone at the team is and I feel the same,” Heidfeld said in a statement.

The 32-year-old, who raced for BMW-Sauber last year, has competed in 167 grands prix without winning any of them. He has finished second on eight occasions, however.

Renault, who have signed his 2009 team mate Robert Kubica, had been Heidfeld’s last remaining hope of a competitive race drive but they opted for Russian Vitaly Petrov.

The only other teams with vacancies are newcomers Campos and US F1.

Thursday’s announcement brought Heidfeld’s Formula One career full circle, with the German starting out as a test driver at Mercedes-powered McLaren in 1998 before making his debut with Prost in 2000.

Seven-times champion Schumacher was tempted out of retirement at the age of 41 after Mercedes bought Brawn, who won both titles last season.

“It’s a great pleasure for us to have signed a driver of the calibre and experience of Nick Heidfeld,” team principal Ross Brawn said.

“Nick has over 10 years of experience in Formula One working with established teams and he will be a great asset to Mercedes GP. I am confident that his input into the development of our MGP W01 car will be invaluable.” — Reuters

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever. But it comes at a cost. Advertisers are cancelling campaigns, and our live events have come to an abrupt halt. Our income has been slashed.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years. We’ve survived thanks to the support of our readers, we will need you to help us get through this.

To help us ensure another 35 future years of fiercely independent journalism, please subscribe.

Advertisting

Not a sweet deal, Mister

Mister Sweet workers say they will not risk their health, and the lives of others, to continue producing and packaging confectionaries

Covid-19 grounds Nigeria’s medical tourists

The country’s elites, including the president, travelled abroad for treatment but now they must use the country’s neglected health system

Nehawu launches urgent court bid over protective gear for health...

The health workers’ union says the government has rebuffed its attempts to meet about mitigating risks to workers

Stay at home, Cyril said. But what about the homeless?

In Tshwane, forcing homeless people off the street resulted in chaos and the abuse of a vulnerable population. In Durban, a smooth, well-planned operation fared far better

Press Releases

Everyone’s talking about it. Even Kentucky

Earlier this year South African fried chicken fast-food chain, Chicken Licken®, launched a campaign for their wallet-friendly EasyBucks® meals, based on the idea of ‘Everyone’s talking about it.’

New energy mix on the cards

REI4P already has and will continue to yield thousands of employment opportunities

The online value of executive education in a Covid-19 world

Executive education courses further develop the skills of leaders in the workplace

Sisa Ntshona urges everyone to stay home, and consider travelling later

Sisa Ntshona has urged everyone to limit their movements in line with government’s request

SAB Zenzele’s special AGM postponed until further notice

An arrangement has been announced for shareholders and retailers to receive a 77.5% cash payout

20th Edition of the National Teaching Awards

Teachers are seldom recognised but they are indispensable to the country's education system

Awards affirm the vital work that teachers do

Government is committed to empowering South Africa’s teachers with skills, knowledge and techniques for a changing world