News hounds bite back

Journalists will appeal to President Jacob Zuma to lean on the African National Congress Youth League (ANCYL) and to assure the country that state resources are not being used to intimidate and embarrass journalists.

The league’s recent verbal attacks on journalists and its attempt to bully reporters to stop writing about its president Julius Malema’s business interests have prompted the appeal.

This week a group of 19 senior political reporters wrote to the ANC, the youth league and the South African National Editors’ Forum (Sanef), decrying the intimidating tactics of the youth league and expressing concern about the league’s apparent access to confidential information about journalists’ private lives.

The letter focused on the league’s national spokesperson, Floyd Shivambu’s attempts to “leak” a so-called dossier on City Press investigative editor Dumisane Lubisi to other reporters. Shivambu threatened to expose reporters who refused to write about the dossier, saying that he had incriminating information about them as well.

The “dossier” alleged that Lubisi was corrupt and that he had accumulated wealth that was inexplicable because his salary as a journalist was far too low to account for his assets. Lubisi has been working with fellow City Press reporter Piet Rampedi on several stories detailing Malema’s use of political influence to get government tenders worth hundreds of millions of rands in Limpopo.


The league also recently alleged that journalists were sleeping with politicians to obtain information, a charge journalists have asked Malema to prove.

Thabo Leshilo, Sanef’s media freedom committee chairperson, said the forum would seek a meeting with Zuma and remind him that he committed himself to press freedom at a Sanef meeting he addressed shortly after he became president last year.

“If we cannot write freely, we would never have known about this shoddy work that Julius Malema’s company is doing and Zuma would still not have declared his interests, as he was supposed to do months ago,” said Leshilo.

The letter from the journalists demanded that Shivambu issue a public apology for his actions.

“Furthermore, the ANC Youth League is obliged to reveal how it received the information and whether state or other resources were used to illegally intrude into the private lives of journalists and other individuals who may not agree with its activities,” Leshilo said.

“We believe that Shivambu’s actions were less about exposing unethical behaviour in the media and had more to do with wanting to silence us with threats of public embarrassment over our private lives. This is one of the most blatant, cynical and sinister attempts at muzzling the media since the end of apartheid. If we write things people do not like, they embarrass us into silence. This is the biggest threat to democracy.”

Seemingly unfazed by the journalists’ letter, on radio on Wednesday Shivambu discussed the league’s statement in response to the letter. Those who signed the letter were “immature”, a “mob”, a “gang” and “real enemies” of the league, according to the statement, which bears Malema’s name.

On Thursday Cosatu warned that attempts to coerce media workers to censor politically embarrassing stories could be the first step in a descent towards “Zanufication”, dictatorship and a banana republic.

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Mmanaledi Mataboge
Guest Author

Related stories

‘Let ANC deal with its leaders facing corruption charges,’ Ramaphosa tells parliament

The president was answering questions before parliament, where he also told the EFF to allow the courts to decide on the matter of the CR17 bank statements

Fight inequality the South African way

Civil society helped topple apartheid, but the struggle is not over. The gap between rich and poor has widened and corruption and poor governance is evident

Public wage bill is impeding SA’s growth prospects — Busa

Business Unity South Africa is eager to talk to its social partners at Nedlac about how the spiralling public-sector wage bill can be tamed. And the organisation says these talks need to happen soon

Mabuza asked to account for why ministers were seated next to Malema in Senekal

MPs can’t seem to stop the house from degenerating into screaming matches, even during virtual sittings, as exhibited when the deputy president answered questions in the NCOP on Wednesday.

State’s wage freeze sparks apoplexy

Public sector unions have cried foul over the government’s plan to freeze wages for three years and have vowed to fight back.

EFF eyes municipalities ahead of 2021 local government elections

EFF leader Julius Malema says the party is preparing to govern in many municipalities from next year. It is also launching a programme to defend the rights of farm workers
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Covid-19 info lags as cases shoot up

Vital information apps and websites are outdated as cases begin to mushroom, especially near the coast, just in time for the December holidays

DA leader bought wife a car with ‘corruption’ earnings

Senior Ekurhuleni councillor Shabangu purchased a Ford SUV from an alleged R1.2-million kickback

SAA funds may need a top-up

Industry experts predict the R10.5-billion from the treasury to rescue the airline may not be enough, but the rescue practitioners say the money is enough to ‘settle the sins of the past’

Trump’s mantra of ‘fake news’ harmed media

Viewers and readers need to trust that news outlets are accurate, balanced, fair and impartial
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…