Rio Tinto staff jailed in China

A Chinese court convicted four employees of mining giant Rio Tinto including an Australian national on Monday on bribery and trade secrets charges, handing down jail terms ranging from seven to 14 years.

Australian executive Stern Hu and three Chinese staff, who were tried last week in Shanghai, were convicted of accepting bribes totalling about $13-million and stealing trade secrets.

Hu, the head of the Anglo-Australian miner’s Shanghai office, was sentenced to 10 years in prison. His Chinese colleagues Wang Yong, Ge Minqiang and Liu Caikui were given jail terms of 14, eight and seven years, respectively.

Australian Prime Minister Kevin Rudd has said the world is watching the trial, which has been widely seen as a test of the rule of law in China and has sparked concerns about doing business in the world’s third-largest economy.

Three decades after China opened up to the world, US and European businesses are now complaining of increasingly onerous rules, preferential treatment for local firms and growing nationalism.


Australia’s consul general in Shanghai, Tom Connor, summarised the sentences after the hearing but declined to comment further, saying Foreign Minister Stephen Smith would make a more detailed statement later on Monday.

The four defendants had pleaded guilty to taking money, and one had admitted to commercial espionage, but the accused had disputed aspects of the charges, their lawyers said.

Friends in need
A prosecutor had recommended that Hu be given a lenient sentence after he apologised to the court and to Rio, saying he took more than $900 000 to help childhood friends in need, his lawyer Jin Chunqing said.

But the court found that the four had stolen trade secrets including the minutes of a China Iron and Steel Association meeting and information on Chinese steel giant Shougang’s output.

The defendants appeared before the court in civilian clothing, with Hu wearing a blue windbreaker. His normally black hair was white.

Hu also was fined 500 000 yuan ($73 250) and had another 500 000 yuan worth of personal assets confiscated, the court said.

Liu’s lawyer, Tao Wuping, said his client was likely to appeal.

The Australian’s defence team said they needed to discuss the verdict with their client.

Millions stuffed into ‘bags, boxes’
The four Rio employees were arrested last July during contentious iron-ore contract talks between top mining companies and the steel industry in China, the world’s largest consumer of the raw material. The talks collapsed.

At the three-day trial of the Rio employees, the court heard evidence that millions of yuan in bribes had been stuffed into bags and boxes for the accused, according to state media.

Hu took money from small private steel companies, which before the global financial crisis were locked out of buying iron ore from Rio because the mining giant prioritised large state-run steel companies, Jin said.

When the global economic crisis hit in September 2008, demand for iron ore plummeted and the smaller players paid bribes “to squeeze into the club and join the buyers”, he said.

Wang strongly objected to the bribery allegations, saying he simply borrowed the money from one of China’s richest men, Du Shuanghua, the National Business Daily said.

Du, the former head of Shandong-based Rizhao Iron & Steel group, has contradicted Wang’s account, saying he paid the Rio employee $9-million for preferential treatment, the newspaper
said.

Smith chastised China last week for locking the country’s diplomats out of the courtroom during the hearings on the commercial espionage allegations.

China appeared to have broken its own laws by excluding Australia’s consular staff from the hearings, according to New York University professor Jerome Cohen, a leading US expert on Chinese legal issues.

The decision “to exclude the Australian consuls violated existing Chinese law, which since 1995 has explicitly instructed China’s courts to permit foreign consular representation even at non-public trials”, Cohen wrote in an article co-authored with Yu-Jie Chen, a fellow at the US Asia Law Institute.

“There had been an expectation that the Chinese legal system was becoming more transparent and accountable,” said Ann Kent, a visiting fellow at the Australian National University College of Law.

“On the evidence to date, this trial has not met these
expectations.” – AFP

Subscribe to the M&G for R2 a month

These are unprecedented times, and the role of media to tell and record the story of South Africa as it develops is more important than ever.

The Mail & Guardian is a proud news publisher with roots stretching back 35 years, and we’ve survived right from day one thanks to the support of readers who value fiercely independent journalism that is beholden to no-one. To help us continue for another 35 future years with the same proud values, please consider taking out a subscription.

And for this weekend only, you can become a subscriber by paying just R2 a month for your first three months.

Related stories

China’s resource-for-infrastructure deals

Are RFIs a viable model for aiding Africa’s economic development?

China blamed for Zambia’s debt, but the West’s banks and agencies enabled it

The narratives about the African country’s debt crisis are being used as fodder in geopolitical battles

Muddying the waters in the Musina Makhado economic zone

The public participation process on the environmental impact assessment for the area’s special economic zone has been shambolic

How US foreign policy under Donald Trump has affected Africa

Lesotho has been used as a microcosm in this article to reflect how the foreign policy has affected Africa

We should not ignore Guinea’s constitutional coup

Citizens have for a year protested against the president seeking a third term in office despite a two-term limit. Many have been killed — and 90 more people died in this week’s crackdown

‘Pro-family’ campaigners ignore pregnant women dying during Covid lockdowns

Conservative groups are fighting efforts to expand African women’s access to healthcare. Do they care about women all the time, or only when they’re procreating?
Advertising

Subscribers only

ANC: ‘We’re operating under conditions of anarchy’

In its latest policy documents, the ANC is self-critical and wants ‘consequence management’, yet it’s letting its members off the hook again

Q&A Sessions: ‘I think I was born way before my...

The chief executive of the Estate Agency Affairs Board and the deputy chair of the SABC board, shares her take on retrenchments at the public broadcaster and reveals why she hates horror movies

More top stories

Between dark and light was Maradona

The life of Diego Armando Maradona, who died this week, will always remind us that the smell of shit is as important as the perfume of flowers, writes Niren Tolsi

Public protector’s ‘mistakes’ were made to nail the president, court...

Busisiwe Mkhwebane discarded facts that were inconvenient to her when she investigated the CR17 campaign, Cyril Ramaphosa’s lawyers argued

Student funding scheme gets new chief executive and board

The National Student Financial Aid Scheme has been under administration for two years after its board was dissolved and its boss resigned not even halfway through his term

General Council of the Bar slams Zuma Foundation

Another summons has been served on Jacob Zuma at his Nkandla residence, requiring the former president to appear before the Zondo Commission next year
Advertising

press releases

Loading latest Press Releases…